Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leaving a car outside Paris for a few days

Jun 14th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Hi, I'm borrowing my brother's car in England for a few weeks this September and plan to travel to France by way of the Hull - Zeebrugge car ferry. I want to do some driving around northern France before spending a few days in Paris. I really don't want to take the car into Paris, so I'm currently looking for some options.

I'm thinking I may stay a night in a B&B on the outskirts of Paris and negotiate with the owner to leave the car for a few days and catch the train into Paris.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good town in which I could give this a go?

Anyone have any other ideas about where I could leave a car for a few days?

many thanks

David

Canberra, Australia
Jun 14th, 2011, 04:53 AM

The first thing that comes to mind is that a free car can get quite expensive if you pay for a ferry (both ways) and then potentially for parking while in Paris.

Before going any further investigate the costs involved versus renting a car while in France... you might be surprised.
Jun 14th, 2011, 05:15 AM

We are needing exactly the same thing. The 2 cheapest I have found so far are this one with parking in Paris itself:

http://www.parisfrancegarage.com/uk/...ing-paris.html

18 Euros a day

or this one outside CDG for 10 euros a day, with a small navette (bus) that takes you to the airport. From there you catch the RER into Paris. It is only 5 Euros a day, but also you have to figure in the inconvenience factor and the cost of the RER (around 10 euros per person each way depending where you go)

http://www.ecopark-cdg.com/nos-tarifs-parking
Jun 14th, 2011, 08:07 AM

If you must have this car, I'd just bite the bullet and pay for a garage in Paris. You're only talking about a couple days, right? So you find a garage for around 20 euro and just pay it. Even if you pay 60 euro, I can't imagine all this other rigamarole would be worth it, as well as staying in a place you don't really want to be, and the commuting costs on the train.
Jun 14th, 2011, 09:34 AM

if you want to stay outside the centre, we stayed in St. germain en laye, and left our car in the underground garage next to the RER station - superfast connection into Paris.

you'd have to check current costs as this was a few years ago [possibly 10!] but don't see why it couldn't work.
Jun 18th, 2011, 12:08 AM

Yeah-I have to agree with Christina about the hassle of being outside Paris if it is only for a few days, that is probably what we are going to end up doing. But in case your are nervous driving into Paris then St Germain en Laye or CDG are options.