Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leave Soon for Provence - Are we missing anything?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2007, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In three weeks we'll be at the house we rented in Bedoin. Sigh!!!

This is our second time to Provence. The first time we were in the Cassis & Luberon area primarily.

I'm looking for feedback on MUST DO things that I've missed or any other typically wonderful Fodorite suggestions & ideas:

We'll be based in Bedoin 2 weeks. We want to relax, spend a fair amount of time in Bedoin close to home but also take in the sites and stuff we missed the last time around.

Our To do list includes:
- bedoin, lourmarin, apt, ile sur la sorgue markets (been to most before, but just loved them...any others that will knock our socks off?)
- climb ventoux, cycle in the dentilles region, cycle gorges de la nesque, cycle rhone winery region/cnd pape
-visit the olive oil region (any suggestions for a way to see this region in 1 day?)
- crillion le brave, l'oustalet

Are we missing out if we don't see Orange or Avignon? What about St.Remy and Les Baux? We'll be staying in Marseille the last night before we fly home, should we go into the city?

Thanks very much,
Jen

Old May 3rd, 2007, 10:55 AM

Be happy you are not here now - just saw on the news that the Mt. Ventoux is closed due to heavy snowfall...

Definately go into Marseille and spend an evening around the Old Port. Nice way to finish a vacation.

-Kevin
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:14 AM

I've been to Bedoin. It's kind of in the middle of nowhere, and not that much to do right in it (it's not that big and on a hill) so I would think you'll want to get out of town a lot. It's really a small village, but I guess you know that if you are renting there.

If you have never been to Avignon, I certainly would put that on a list of places to see just as part of Provence and history. But it doesn't seem to appeal to you, so go with what you want to do. I enjoyed a day in Orange, and seeing the theatre antique, but I wouldn't call it a must do. But I might put both those over Apt, actually.

Given you are above Carpentras, I would definitely visit Vaison-la-Romaine myself, as well as farther NW of that, including Grignan (or even Nyons, but it is beautiful in that area), given you have so much free time. If you like wine, the area around Gigondas, of course (which is right by the Dentelles but you don't mention it, so maybe you aren't aware of the wine area?). I also think Pernes-les-Fontaines is a pleasant small town for a visit, and a little different than many in that area due to all the fountains. It has some things worth seeing, anyway, and it's not that far from Bedoin (in-between it and Isle-sur-la-Sorgue).

There's nothing unique about St Remy to me, that I would go down there to see it rather than some of these other places--unless you are very interested in the Van Gogh sites. I did find Les Baux very fascinating, but as long as you are where you area, I'd see the things around there first.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:21 AM

sorry, I meant to take out that hill part about Bedoin which was in there by mistake. But you probably know what it's like. It's not one of those real perched villages, as I recall, more at the base of Ventoux (at first I was thinking of Barroux which is a diff. town around there), but it is really small. But it probably won't be hilly where you are if you are around it -- they have a forest around there that is wellknown, as I recall. YOu can probably bike from Bedoin up to the mountain (don't they do that in the Tour de France).
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Snow! Oh wow! What is Ventoux weather normally like in May/June Kevin? We rode it last year in July.

Christina, We will be visiting Vaison la Romaine and are trying to decide on where to see the "olive oil region"...do you think Nyons is best for that?

Thanks! Jen
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:44 AM

I assume you have my Provence itinerary - which has all my suggestions. We stayed in a Gite in Bedoin for 2 weeks in '05, and we're returning for 4 weeks this June. As you probably know, Bedoin is kind of a cycling center. Lots of cafes & restaurants in town. The Dauphine Libere goes up Ventoux June 14. Can't find out if this year's route actually goes through Bedoin.
http://www.uciprotour.com/templates/...?MenuId=MjE0Mw

Stu Dudley
Old May 3rd, 2007, 11:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
You are the foot of Crillon Le Brave, have a drink on the terrace there. The views are spectacular. They also have a bistro now. Lunch by the fountain in Bonnieux at Le Fournil, Lourmarin is a favorite(Coté Bastide, a favorite shop there)as is Seguret, Saignon.
Right now Mt Venteux is closed, Heavy Snow reports Kevin!!!
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Yes I have your trip report Stu. Actually I was just reviewing it and have printed out some of the Dentilles information. You don't mention anything about olive oil regions & nyon? Worth a visit, taste?

Crillion le Brave for lunch is in the cards! Can't wait!
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:27 PM

>>You don't mention anything about olive oil regions & nyon? Worth a visit, taste?<<

We drove up north of Nyons a bit looking for olive trees & such, but we didn't see much. Didn't look for them that hard..

Stu Dudley
Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:45 PM

Weather is normally fantastic May/June on the Mt. Ventoux. Had 3 couples from Brugge the other day staying with us who biked it and had a great time - though they said it did get a bit chilly and windy towards the top. Today's weather is way out of the ordinary - but seems like everywhere you look in Europe these days, things are a bit strange, weather-wise.

-Kevin
Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
yep, the weather sure is peculiar - here in cornwall it's not, repeat not, raining. but it is forecast for bank holiday monday - what a cliche!

anyone planning a trip to cornwall should really think of this time of year - it's been like this every may for the last 3 years or so. we had lunch at a beach cafe yesterday, and had to sit in the shade, the sun was so strong.

i will forebear to remind you of the beautiful countryside, the deserted beaches, the excellent restaurants [getting better all the time] the lovely gardens..why would you want to go anywhere else? certainly not to France where it snows in May!!!

regards, ann