Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Leave in two weeks, help with Easter in Meteora, Nafpaktos & Nafplio.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2018, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, although I've nearly given up trying to use the 'new' Fodors, I miss all the great advice, so I'll persevere.

We leave in just over two week for our Greece trip, we will be in Meteora for Good Friday, Nafpaktos for Saturday and Sunday and Nafplio for Easter Monday. I think Meteora will be a wonderful place to be on Good Friday, especially for the parade of the Epitaph. Apart from restaurants for Easter meals not to be missed, I'd love to hear of anyone's experiences in these places over Easter? We will have a car, so if there is a particular small town/village you'd suggest for a special meal/drive that would be great too.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 06:59 AM

You chose a great time to visit these places!

Regarding Meteora, there is a unique atmosphere all around. Especially if you attend the ceremony of the Last Supper and Passion in the Holy Monastery of Varlaam on Holy Thursday. The bells sound mournful, almost oddly; monks and believers participate in the divine drama experiencing a mental and spiritual upbringing. On Good Friday the epitaphs are discreetly decorated without the usual canopy. The hagiographies seem to come alive under the pale candlelight. A fragrance of incense and lilac fills the atmosphere. Devotion is diffused throughout the congregation.

Have in mind that in Nafpaktos, one of the most popular destinations in the days of Easter, has become a pole of attraction, among others, for the pilgrimage of the Epitaph in front of the historic harbor "taking fire" to honor the Orthodox feast.
Its medieval castle, glorious history, huge plane trees next to the waves, paved cobbled streets, incredible food and good nightlife will make want to stay more... <3 In Nafpaktos you can try the delicious food at Spitiko and have your coffee with a view at Aroma Cafe!

Easter celebrations in Nafplio include many events for children, including traditional customs, such as "Lazarakia", "Hunting the lost egg", "Wreaths for Christ and May" etc. At the same time, the events are framed by Byzantine hymns and religious-classical music. Local municipalities play an important role in the promotion of local customs, such as the transfer of epitaphs to the sea in Tolo, the revival of the custom of Love in Midea, the custom of Judas in Asini, the Lambros' egg in Nafplio and celebrations of local patron saints after Easter. When in Nafplion you can enjoy your drink, coffee and delicious hand-made donuts at Xenonn's cafeteria located in Syntagma Square and taste Easter Reshaping Delights in Nafplio's most in-day wine bar restaurant "3Sixty"! I've been to both, they are exquisite.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

WOW WOW WOW Thats fantastic anniesweetiepie, now I'm even more excited, it all sounds amazing. Thank you so much.