Search

Greek Easter and travelling advice?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2003, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greek Easter and travelling advice?

Hi!
I'm hoping there are some residents of Greece on this board - or somebody else who can help me.

I'm aware that the Greek Orthodox Easter takes place one week after ours and that it's a really important holiday.

One option for our 2 week trip to Greece next year is to fly there on Easter (3 nights in Athens, then 4 Santorin, then on to Rhodes).
I'm wondering how it'll affect our time in Athens: Will attractions be open? Are hotels booked because everybody from the Islands will be in Athens to visit relatives? Do the Greek schoolchildren have another week of vacation AFTER Easter?

Our other travel option would be in August but I fear the Olympics even though we could cut down on our time in Athens.

Or... we'll fly to Athens for an extended weekend only (live in Europe) and travel to Thailand in April.

Any opinions out there??? Thankyou.
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 03:14 AM

I can't answer the substance of your message but please watch the dates. It's not as simple as "a week later".

Next year is 11th April.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 02:09 PM

I was told it was just the opposite...everyone leaves athens for the countryside and it is suppose to be a great time to be in athens during Easter. BUT.... a lot of the sites and museums keep holiday hours that weekend ...
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 05:13 PM

HI,

Indeed, people leave Athens and head back to the little towns where they or their parents/grandparents lived as children. Greek Easter does not depend on Roman Easter. I do not know their formula, but I assume that Shelia has the correct date. It could be a lot of fun during Easter. Unfortunately I have no idea what is open/closed. Have fun.
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 12:34 AM

The Orthodox Church bases its dates for Easter on the ancient Julian calendar, whereas the rest of the world (including the country of Greece itself) uses the Gregorian calendar.

Sometimes the dates coincide and sometimes they don't. As Sheila has already said, in 2004 Greek Orthodox Easter falls on 11th April, which is the same as other churches.
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou for your replies!

What a coincidence that next year both Easter celebrations will take part at the same time - which means we will miss it by one week.

By now we are already close again to reconsidering our travel plans: Restrict our Greece experience next year to an extended weekend in Athens (I won air tickets in a sweepstake... ) and maybe go through with the original plan to fly to Thailand in April for scuba diving.

Xenos and everyone else: Do you by any chance have a recommendation for a reasonaly priced hotel in walking distance to the Akropolis and the Plaka? I guess something up 100 Euro?
I followed up on earlier threads already but somehow feel like there has to be one more - the perfect hotel for me.
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 08:25 AM
brotherleelove2003

The Attalos Hotel is a good choice for a reasonably priced hotel in Athens, within walking distance to the Acropolis and Plaka.

Diving in Thailand is wonderful. April is a transition month for the weather, so in April I recommend that you go to the Gulf of Thailand instead of the Andaman Sea area for your holiday. Koh Tao reportedly offers the best diving there.