Search

Learning French in France

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Learning French in France

Hello!
After searching many sites on the internet, I registered to study French for 2 weeks at the Institut Linguistique Adenet (ILA) in Montpellier. I have received confirmation of my registration and an informative brochure. Now I am getting a little nervous even though I spoke to one of the references listed on their site. Has anyone heard of this school, seen it, or attended it? I hesitate to send my money to an unknown school. Thanks!
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:05 PM

SusanA: I am afraid I can't help you with your question. I simply have no knowledge. I too have looked at the school in Montpelior. What does suprise me a bit is the abundance of Spanish schools in Spain and the seeming lack of French schools in France. I assume this is simply a function of the world going more Spanish and less French. From your standpoint, I'd say if fewer people are studying French, those who do will be more highly valued.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 05:48 PM

Probably the premier source of French language courses is the Alliance Francaise. I'd check out their website at http://www.alliancefr.org/
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 08:07 PM

No, but please post back if you go and let the rest of us know. I love Montpellier. And 320E for an intensive week of instruction seems reasonable.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 11:09 PM

Much useful discussion here:

http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a...4/m/8041038952

There are plenty of language schools in France.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 02:31 AM

My total immersion experience was in Paris and I highly recommend it versus a smaller city. To have all the museums and sites available besides classes was wonderful, and student price tickets to ballet and theater too. Even with past trips to Paris, I didn't know Paris the same way until my month there.
I used the American University in Paris, and like all language schools we were tested and placed in the appropriate level class, had lunch as a group with a teacher so we continued to speak French only, and had several choices of extra classes for the afternoon. The most memorable was twice weekly walking tours of different sections of Paris, conducted by a French architectural historian.
Half of the class were college students, half were adults in their 40s and up.
My pointers to you would be these. If the teacher is unstatisfactory from some reason, ask to be moved to another class. If you are placed in private housing and you have problems, insist the school move you to another location. The family I stayed with was fantastic, as were many, but several students had unacceptable situations and had to strongly insist on a change.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 07:14 AM

Hi

There are many language schools in the Montpellier area.

A selection :

Baillarges International Language Association
Beziers Centre Hobson
Montpellier A.B.M. Anaïs Baurens Méditerranée
Montpellier ACB Langues et traduction
Montpellier Centre International Pierre Monestier
Montpellier Ecole Klesse
Montpellier Ecole Méditeranéenne
Montpellier EF Education
Montpellier Espace Universitaire Albert Camus
Montpellier Eurolingua
Montpellier FAC Enterprise
Montpellier French American Center
Montpellier ILP
Montpellier ILA
Montpellier IML
Montpellier Institut Montarry
Montpellier Klesse Cambridge
Montpellier Langues Sans Frontiers
Montpellier M Lingua

I can confirm that ILA exists. I've even been in their building by mistake (I was looking for a different school) !

Worth checking out which ILA centre you will attend. The Baillargues one I found was a little way out of town on a golf course.

Peter

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 08:03 AM

Google it and if it is a well known institute, you will easily find it on internet. I know the Sorbone has English courses also and it's world renown. I speak French ( France French ) and I found many French people especially in Paris, know enough English to converse easily. If you try speaking French there, they will immediately help you. Anyway, Google this instotute and you'll have your answer.
Worry not, you'll have a great trip.
Beware of pick pockets, read up on how to be safe in any large city before you go. I speak from experience on this issue.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your comments. ILA has a great website and I did communicate with 2 people who attended the school. However, I just needed someone to say, "Yes, I saw the school. It does exist." Perhaps I am being overly careful with that request. I picked Montpellier because I had been to Paris and the area around it but had never been south. I hope to make a number of side trips during the afternoon and weekend.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 05:29 AM

anybody has studied in EF languaje schools? I'm considering it for this summer in NICE. help!
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 08:12 AM

My wife studied Swedish in Goteborg with EF.

She was very impressed.

Peter

Old Feb 28th, 2008, 08:59 AM

SusanA did you do your french studies? how was the ILA school?