Le Meridien Lisbon - Other hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Lisbon for first time in Aug. Looking for centrally located hotel, where we can walk pretty easily/take the bus, without having to taxi everywhere. Is Le Meridien in a good location to do so? Any other recommendations for hotels that are centrally located? Thanks!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:58 AM

Taxi is very very cheap in Portugal. I was there in September and a taxi to cross the whole city was 7 euros You just have to care when going to the airport or take the taxi there. Maybe they will try to cheat you..don't pay more than 10-12 euros !
Le Meridien is in a good location, not exactly where most of the action is, but I think it's pretty easy to arrive everywhere from there.
I was at the Real Parque Hotel, not very far from the Calouste Gulbenkian Museum (a must see, in my opinion). It'a four stars but I felt like a five. Great rooms and kind staff. I got it in their website for 100 euros/night, which looked to me a real bargain after being there !
Hope you have a great time there, I love Lisbon !
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 09:59 AM

I am going to take a very amateur stab at answering your question because there are people that know so much more than I. I have only been to Lisbon once.
If it were my choice, I think this lovely hotel is a little out of the way of the old center of Lisbon. I personally would want to be in the Baixo/Chiado, Barrio Alto, or one of the more central locations.
From my map, it seems that this hotel is near the Gulhenkian Museum. But there is public transportation very near.
You are just not going to be able to walk out of the hotel and explore the older sections of Lisbon.
Now, I am sure someone will jump in and help you.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 08:46 PM

Visiting as well in July. Booked in the historic area of Lisbon from a friend of mine who operates a couple of rentals. They are American and have several properties in Lisbon and one in the Elgarve. Might want to check out their site, they are friends but are also great folks...www.visitingportugal.com. We're staying in Casa Santana.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 07:20 AM
capote

hi
try looking here:
http://destinia.com/hotels/hotels--i...urope/30728/en
they carry info about the hotels and their locations and have a wide range on offer. hope this is of use to you.

Old Jul 6th, 2006, 03:05 PM

I think the most centrally located five star hotel in Lisbon would be the Avenida Palace, http://www.hotel-avenida-palace.pt/iindex.htm. It's right at the Restauradores square, metro stop outside the door and right in the heart of historical downtown Lisbon. I've never stayed there but have picked up several people who were staying there. It's got a lot of that "old world charm" and I never heard anything but positive comments. The Meridien is in a nice neighborhood, near a big park, and not far from the big department store the Corte Ingles, but I agree with others that it is a bit out of the way.
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 06:36 PM

We stayed at the Dom Carlos Park and liked it very much. Great location, just off Avenida de Liberdade, a few steps from a metro stop. Large rooms, nice bathrooms, helpful front desk staff, reasonable price. www.domcarlospark.com
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 09:52 AM

just got back from Lisbon, and I would suggest staying near the Rossia, its in the heart of old Lisbon and just below the castle.

Also, both Sintra and Obidos are fantastic. The two palaces at Sintra (Pena and National) are worth the short trip by train (less than an hour for Sintra). Beaches were crowded around Lisbon, and a frien there explained they are trying to introduce recycling and are struggling with it on the side streets. Would also reccommend cafe Brasilia for breakfast down the square, and the "restaurant row" just above the Rossia...we ate at the Italian place and the pork medalions with mushroom sauce were out of this world...
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 12:04 PM
hsv

I have only visited their lovely rooftop terrace without staying at the hotel proper, but what I saw really intrigued me: The Lisboa Regency Chiado is in the Chiado neighbourhood right near Rossio (which has been the suggested area to stay by my predecessor on this thread) and smack-dab in the center of things. The hotel is a boutique sort of place and features awesome views of the city.

http://www.lisboaregencychiado.com/index.html
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 04:13 AM

ttt
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 10:52 AM

fabulous new boutique hotel in barrio alto is barrio alto hotel. it is really in the heart of things and the view is spectacular over the city and the river.
bonnie
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:43 AM

The Tivoli Lisboa is well located, has a fabulous roof top terrace, a large landscaped pool and is cheap. What could be better?