Le Meridian-Paris

Search

Le Meridian-Paris

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2007, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Le Meridian-Paris

Has anyone stayed at Le Meridian in Paris before? I have read mixed reviews about it.
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Which location?
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Oh on Champse Elyses
Old Sep 14th, 2007, 09:03 AM

There isn't any Meridien on the CHamps-Elsyees. There is one on bd Gouvion St Cyr near place Porte Maillot, which is probably the one you mean. But if you think it's on the CHamps-Elysees, it isn't, it's farther west on the edge of Paris.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

I am refering to the Le Meridien Etoile that is a street or two away from Champse Elyese
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 10:57 AM

It's fine.

Nice staff, decent food. Rooms are typically corporate in style.

The location is close to a very busy roundabout (Porte Maillot) but with good Metro access (Ligne 1?) and adjacent to a big shopping centre with decent stores to mooch around - and the all important Angelines!
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 11:22 AM

The Meridien Etoile is the one Christina is talking about - it is not on Champs Elyses, but within walking distance.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 12:11 PM

This is a corporate hotel for the convention center across the street - with lots of business groups and some more upscale tours. Everything is fine for that type of hotel - but certainly not luxury.

It is not on the Champs Elysess - but about a 10 minute walk away from the farthest end. Also - practically on top of a Metro Station.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 03:44 PM

You can never go by the 'hotel hype' where they claim ' near the Eiffel' or 'just steps from the Champs'.. You must look it up on a map or you could be disappointed when you get there.

Google Maps is easy, just enter the street address, Paris, France and 'voila', your location. Then you would know what the above posters are trying to tell you.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 11:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The Méridien Etoile is 2 metro stations from the Arc and 3 metro stations from the main part of the Champs.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Original Poster

So Im thinking its going to be a decent hotel then? We've heard really good things about the meridian hotels and that's why we booked this one and that fact that it was so close to a metro station.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 05:51 AM

It's not in any way boutiquey or quirky, but yes you are pretty much assured a decent standard of cleanliness/accomodation and service.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 05:54 AM

You may find that being close to a Metro station is a statement that hundreds of hotels can make in Paris. The Metro system is vast and all encompassing. There is a statement that I've seen that says in Paris you are never more than 500m from a Metro station.

So..I'd pick a hotel based on its geographic location, not public transit location. Is it in area that is walking distance to some sights, are there lots of restaurants nearby, is it quiet/buslting at night, is it touristy or mostly locals,etc...

The one thing I might consider would be what Metro line the hotel is on...if I had a choice of a couple of locations, I'd pick the one with less transfers to get where I'm going to be most days. Airport access might be another location factor.

This being said...my preference for Paris stays does not include Champs Elysee area..there are much more interesting arrondissements to be found (4/5/6/7/16 for example). The Champs itself is a bit of a disappointment if you expect that "high fashion, like in the movies, quintissential Paris" kind of experience. I've been, I don't go back whenever I visit Paris.

Happy travels

Mike
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 09:00 AM

<<It's not in any way boutiquey or quirky>>

Here's something a lot of people do not know about the Méridien Etoile: it is the biggest hotel in Paris with 1025 rooms.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 09:11 AM

There are two Meridien hotels in Paris (the ones owned by Air France): one just across from the Montparnasse rail station on the Left Bank, and one near the Porte Maillot. Despite the latter one being named Etoile, it isn't anywhere near the Etoile, and it isn't within walking distance of the Champs-Élysées, unless you consider a twenty-minute, mile-long walk "within walking distance."
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 09:16 AM

Have stayed in this hotel several times (for meetings/conventions at the Convention Center). It's very handy for that and has all the basics of a 3.5/4* business type hotel.

There isn't a lot of personal service for individuals, since they have so many large groups.

The location has nothing wrong with it - but is NOT near any tourist sights.

I would never stay there except on business at the Convention Center - just because there are so many options closer to what you want to see/do.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 09:20 AM

I had sex in that hotel with a complete stranger. I think it was room 725.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 09:32 AM

I stayed at Le Meridien Etoile in May of this year and liked it just fine. I usually book apartments, but this time the visit was last minute, and I was staying alone, so I booked on Priceline and got a very good deal on this hotel.

It's large, and my room was large and well-appointed. I ended up having to deal with the staff rather more than ideal (a housekeeping snafu) and found them professional and helpful.

It really is very close to a very convenient metro, the Air France bus drops you right across the street, and there's a taxi stand right in front of the hotel (more convenient than you might know if you've never taken a taxi in Paris).

And the Champs-Elysees/Arc de Triomphe is definitely walking distance, as I walked there. Parc Monceau, the Louvre, and the Tour Eiffel also all walking distance (but then I like to walk).
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 02:24 PM

Kerouac - what's the name of the hotel quite close by in the really tall tower block? I would have thought that might have been a candidate for largest hotel?
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 09:04 PM

The Concorde La Fayette next door has "only" 950 rooms. Frankly, I don't know where they hide all of the rooms in the Méridien since it is only 8 floors high.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -