Le Meridian Montparnasse

May 9th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Le Meridian Montparnasse

I have booked this hotel for our family trip(dad and 3 daughters) Has anyone stayed here recently and what can you tell me about the area and transportation to the sights?
May 9th, 2006, 02:07 PM

I stayed here almost two years ago.
The air conditioning is great, which is why I wanted a hotel like that particularly. Our room had been recently renovated, despite our rock-bottom Priceline rate.
A good place to get breakfast items is the Inno store. It's about two blocks away, but I can't really describe how to get there.
There are four metro lines very close to the hotel. There is also a big bus loop about a block away. So you will have easy access to transportation.
The area is fine. A block or so away, some homeless people bed down for the night, but that's everywhere in Paris it seems.
May 9th, 2006, 02:10 PM
ira

Hi G,

It's gotten several good reviews here, IIRC.

Did you check www.tripadvisor.com?

Did you book it through www.priceline.com?

May 9th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Hi Ira
Yes the price I recieved on priceline was $103. for 2 rooms a great price but not really the area I wanted to stay in.. But couldnt beat the price, and my daughters first trip to Paris will be fantastic any where we stay.
May 9th, 2006, 03:42 PM

Actually Montparnasse area used to welcome many artists. Modigliani, Man Ray, Foujita, Zadkine had their studio there. This district has come up when Montmartre started to decline. There is a small museum in former artists workshops on 21 avenue du Maine.
In montparnasse, you are close to nice restaurants : La Coupole, the most beautiful parisian "brasserie" with somptuous decor, and also "la Closerie des Lilas", an excellent gastronomical restaurant.
To reach the historical center, you take the metro line 4 up north.
However, you are at walking distance from the latin Quarter. You take Rue de Rennes and you reach soon St Sulpice area. If you go on straight, you reach Boulevard St Germain.
You are not far from Jardin du Luxembourg either.
Montparnasse is also known for its britain communauty : the rail station welcomes travelers coming from the western part of France. So you will find some "crêperies", in which you can eat french pancakes called "crêpes".
So you haven't made a bad choice, this area has its own character.
May 9th, 2006, 03:58 PM

I like to stay in Montparnasse. As the above poster mentioned, there is plenty of activity and the famous cafes nearby, as well as great bus and metro access.
Also, if you're coming into CDG, you can easily take the Air France Bus to Gare Montparnasse - the bus stop is right across from your hotel. That's my favorite mode of airport transportation, as it's inexpensive (about 11 Euros), safe and comfortable.

You certainly can't beat the price of your hotel - terrific.
May 9th, 2006, 04:00 PM

The Air France bus terminal is across the street from the hotel. The Gaite Metro station on Line 13 is on Av du Maine and will connect you to Line 1 for the Louvre, Champs Elysees, etc.
May 9th, 2006, 04:25 PM

It's a little "out there", but worth it with a great rate. Like most large hotels, they "refresh" the rooms on a rotating basis. So, if the room you are assigned seems a bit worn and shabby, too far from the elevator, etc., return to the front desk and say, "I'm sorry to be a bother but...".
May 9th, 2006, 04:45 PM

Stayed there in 2000, typical large scale higher end hotel. Comfortable. I remember that there was some great Asian restaurants in the streets behind the hotel. An easy walk to Eifel Tower and virtually across the road from Tour Montparnasse.
May 9th, 2006, 06:16 PM

Also note there is an airport shuttle that deposits you just across the street from the hotel. It is a luxury hotel with two queen beds per room. La Coupole restaurant is not to be missed. There is also Monsieur Lapin just down the street--but may not cater to little ones...
Sometimes there is a merry go round/carnival nearby.
It is easy to get anywhere on the metro or train station which is right there also.
May 10th, 2006, 03:52 AM
ira

Hi G,

That's a great rate for Paris.

Enter the address at www.mappy.com. It will show you where the Metro stops are, and give you walking distances to other places.

You will be about 1km from the Bon Marche.