Reload this Page >

Centre Pompidou area

Search

Centre Pompidou area

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2002, 05:47 AM
Jill

Centre Pompidou area

Staying in a hotel (Andrea) in this are between Rue Rivoli and the Centre Pompidou center. How is this area? Are there a lot of cafes? Is it a high traffic area? Thank you!

Old May 2nd, 2002, 05:55 AM
richardab

This is a bustling area with moderate but very good shopping, restaurants and bistros. I just got back from Paris and stayed close to here on rue Victoria near the Chatelet Metro station. I actually liked it. I didn't think that this was the best area for good restaurants and has been called a restaurant wasteland but it is easy to walk to surrounding areas The Marais is very close and has tons of shops, restaurants and sights. Since this is almost the center of Paris is will be real easy to hop on the Metro and go wherever you like. <BR><BR>What street is this hotel on?

Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:01 AM
Jill

Rue St Bon....when you say good restaurants, you mean more expensive, classy? The restaurant in this area are more cheaper? Or just less quality?

Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:17 AM
richardab

I just checked the map. This is very close to where I stayed. You are real close to the Chatelet Metro station which is a real plus. Although this is a huge Metro station, they say this is the Worlds Largest! The good thing is that you can get a train in any direction here.<BR><BR>Restaurants and Bistros are a mixed bag here. Everything from chain to age old Bistro. A few moderate place that come to mind are Le Grizzili, L'Amazonial, Le Poulet au Pot, Les Fous en Face. For a bit more money there is Chez Denise and Benoit. You can also walk to Ile de la Cite and Notre Dame from here and try the great bistro Le Vieux Bistro.<BR><BR>I guess I would say a lot of places around this area are "working class", not really fancy.<BR><BR>Also right near your hotel is a place called "Paul" on the rue Rivoli which has a good continental breakfast and great pastries. I believe its on the corner of rue Rivoli and rue du Renard. I liked a place called Boulangerie Cleret at 11 rue des Lantiers for pastries and caffe in the morning or as an afternoon treat. The rue des Lombards, rue de la Verreerie also have a bunch of places.<BR><BR>Have you tried the book "Bistros of Paris"? It has a lot of really good listings. <BR><BR>Look for my posting called "Finally! my Paris Trip Report!" for more info. I am working on my Paris restaurant report and will have it ready soon. When are you leaving?

Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:26 AM
McH

Jill,<BR><BR>I think you will be staying in a very well located area. If you are doubtful about the restaurants in the area, do not worry since you have the Marais just a few blocks away where you can find delicious places to eat.<BR><BR>What is the name of the hotel you are staying in?<BR><BR>Good luck,<BR><BR>McH

Old May 2nd, 2002, 07:05 AM
Jill

MCH - the hotel is called Hotel Andrea, nothing special from what I get off the website www.hotelandrearivoli.com<BR><BR>Richard - thank you for the great ideas on breakfast and cafes, that's what I was worried about because I don't think my hotel serves breakfast, so it's nice to know something nice is close by. I have not read 'Bistros of Paris', but I think I will go to the bookstore to check it out. I have read, and printed out, your guide to Paris. It is great, lots of questions answered for me. I am much more excited about that area now, the hotel isn't as much as a concern since I plan on only sleeping there, as long as it's clean. I am so excited!! I leave on the 23rd of this month!!

Old May 2nd, 2002, 07:15 AM
richardab

Jill, The book Bistros of Paris is by Robert and Barbara Hamburger.<BR><BR>What are you price expectations for Lunch and Dinner?

Old May 2nd, 2002, 07:34 AM
Jill

I don't know what my expectations are? I guess no more than (there will be two of us) 30-40 dollars for most nights, we are planning a couple expensive dinners, but mostly planning relatively cheap. I don't know what Paris charges for dinners and lunches. What is the normal? When I go to dinner, I usually spend 30-40 dollars on an average restaurant (2 people). Is this reasonable thinking, or should I plan for more? I am just looking for good food, the ambiance and such I will look for with the more expensive restaurants.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:17 AM
richardab

I was just reviewing my list of restaurants I ate at on my Visa bill and noticed that the prices ranged from $28-45 (for one). It was funny how some places that was crappy were more expensive than places that were moew expensive. I think the best buy I got was Lunch at Au Bon Accueil (near the Eiffel Tower). Here are a few of my other favorites--<BR><BR>La Fountain de Mars (7th arr)<BR>Seraphin (6th arr) Great Place!<BR>Le Vieux Bistro (4th arr)<BR>Ma Bourgogne (4th arr) Great Place!<BR>Chez Maitre Paul (6th arr)<BR><BR>Here are a few that I didn't eat at but wish i did--<BR><BR>Cafe Runtz (2nd arr)<BR>Florimond (7th arr) This is suppose to be a good neighborhood find.<BR>Cr&eacute;merie-Restaurant Polidor (6th arr)<BR><BR>Remember, you may want make reservations right when you arrive to avoid disappointment.<BR><BR>Send me your email address and I will let you know when my restaurant report is ready.<BR><BR><BR>

Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:18 AM
richardab

I was just reviewing my list of restaurants I ate at on my Visa bill and noticed that the prices ranged from $28-45 (for one). It was funny how some places that was crappy were more expensive than places that were moew expensive. I think the best buy I got was Lunch at Au Bon Accueil (near the Eiffel Tower). Here are a few of my other favorites--<BR><BR>La Fountain de Mars (7th arr)<BR>Seraphin (6th arr) Great Place!<BR>Le Vieux Bistro (4th arr)<BR>Ma Bourgogne (4th arr) Great Place!<BR>Chez Maitre Paul (6th arr)<BR>Le Grizzili (1st arr) Good for lunch on day of arrival.<BR><BR>Here are a few that I didn't eat at but wish I did--<BR><BR>Cafe Runtz (2nd arr)<BR>Florimond (7th arr) This is suppose to be a good neighborhood find.<BR>Cr&eacute;merie-Restaurant Polidor (6th arr)<BR><BR>Remember, you may want make reservations right when you arrive to avoid disappointment.<BR><BR>Send me your email address and I will let you know when my restaurant report is ready.<BR><BR>I also have a few digital pics of the area around your hotel if you like.<BR><BR><BR>

Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:31 AM
Jill

Great! Thanks Richard! my email is [email protected]<BR><BR>Doesn't it always seem like the best restaurant are not always the expensive ones. When I was in Italy, some of the best food I had was at little mom and pop restaurants. <BR><BR>You should make a reservation for every restaurant? Is this just to make sure you get a seat? Can the hotel do this, or is it something I can do. I do speak a un petit peu de francais, but I don't think enough to make a reservation, I took french many moons ago.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 08:35 AM
richardab

Well... I think you may want to reserve at least those which you insist on eating at. Things can get very busy. If you don't have a reservation, arrive when they open.

Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:11 AM
Jill

Thank you for all your help and advice Richard, you have been a great help. I feel much more confident about everything I was worried or concerned about, especially the area. Thank you again!<BR><BR>Jill

Old May 2nd, 2002, 01:16 PM
Julie

A couple more restaurants in the Pompideau area--Chez Clovis on Rue Berger, and Pied de Cochon. Former is a real old-fashioned bistro, latter is too but a bit more upscale and spiffy. Both have good food, Clovis probably better than Cochon, and less expensive. I second the recommendation for Cafe Runtz, cute and really good food. If you're a cheese lover, have the muenster potatoes. On Thursdays they have Backoeffe, an Alsatian meat stew that comes in individual pots and is truly tasty. You'll need to take a metro to this one but it's worth the trip.