Lazy few days around Antrim

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Lazy few days around Antrim

I've got several days to spend next month between Donegal & Belfast, and am planning on spending them around the Antrim coast. And that's about all the planning I've done so far...

I'm looking for general suggestions of not-too-strenuous things to do. Both in and out of doors would be a good idea, given the time of year. Locations for good music would be particularly welcome.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 04:10 AM

The first thing I suggest are the giant causeway. You can choose the way you want to do it, a simple walk around or a bit more strenuous, but in any way you will not regret it.
Also look at this link:
http://www.northantrim.com/giantscauseway.htm
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 08:14 AM

For Antrim:
There is a 'shuttle' train from Giant's Causeway to the Bushmill's Distillery (to tour).
Dunluce Castle ruins.
Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge if heights aren't an issue.
Tour the walls in Derry.

For Donegal, see;
www.welovedonegal.com

Bob
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

I thought the Giant's Causeway was too obvious to mention

Carrick-a-Rede certainly looks interesting - thanks. Not particularly interested in Bushmills. It's vile stuff: I'll wait for a future sojourn to Islay, if I may.

I should have said, don't worry about Donegal, I'm familiar with the area. But more suggestions around Derry & Co Antrim are very welcome.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 03:39 PM

Take a drive along the Torr Rd.

Drop down to Murlough Bay off the Torr Rd

Do the waterfall walk in Glenariff

Perhaps a ride out to Rathlin Island

Scramble down to Kenbane Castle if the trail is in good enough shape.

Catch the ferry over to Inishowen

Try the Bushmills 21 year old. I agree that basic Bushmills is not particularly impressive. The 16 and 21 yo are pretty nice, some prefer the 16 to the 21. Certainly wouldn't be called vile by any means.

As a Islay fan, clearly you enjoy peated whisk(e)y. Give Connemara a try. It's a nice peated single malt (roasted in Scotland by the way) and gets high marks from people who give marks (Michael Jackson and the like).

The House of McDonnell in Ballycastle probably hosts the best sessions in the area. The pub has been there for 240 years and has been in the McDonnell family the entire time. Contact them to find what's on at:
http://www.houseofmcdonnell.com/index.html This place is really a treat.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 04:37 PM

Owain,

I would suggest Crockatinney Guesthouse for lodgings, http://crockatinney.ndo.co.uk/. You could fill an entire morning exploring their grounds, the famine graveyard on it, and Kenbahn Castle ruins next door.

As for Derry, you would do well to take one of the walking tours offered. It gives you a wonderful feel for Derry. There is also the Glens of Antrim, http://www.northantrim.com/theglensofantrim.htm, which Bill made mention of with Torr Pass. They are achingly beautiful, IMHO. Surprisingly enough, they are not oft visited, which is a shame and a blessing at the same time.

Enjoy a most excellent adventure!

Slan Agus Beannacht,

Bit Devine
Cowboy Craic
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Hi - I thought I should report back with what I ended up doing.

Which was a heavy night in Derry which put paid to a lot of plans, but I headed out first to the Giant's Causeway. It's probably horrid in summer, with the number of people there being about as many as you could have before you'd describe the area as crowded. I stopped at the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge, which would have been far more fun if I'd had somebody with me who I could wind up (which I'm good at doing). As it was, I should have spent more time stopping at the endless other things which looked interesting as I drove into twilight.

I then spent the final day on Rathlin. Fantastic. The weather was great, which obviously swayed my feelings (sunburn? in April?). There wasn't many other people heading out there. Just a wonderfully quiet day. Finished off with an evening drive around Torr Head and down the coast road to Larne.
Old Jun 23rd, 2007, 07:17 AM

Giant's Causeway is terrific if the weather is nice. Prepare for some good walking.
Dunluce Castle exceptional. Very hidden drive entrance. Cute tea room for lunch.
Walks and waterfalls at Glenariff.
Can recommend Crockatinney Guest House if you get on the second floor.