Layover in Frankfurt Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any chance of going out of the FrankfurtAirport during a four hour layover.
I know it is a big airport but I thought there might be any nice village to go to.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 03:35 PM

We flew on a Tuesday, a weekday, I expected German punctuality, easy transfer, instead got a mayhem like Los Angeles, longest lines.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 04:40 PM

Frankfurt airport is huge and as posted above, has long lines to the security sections (the main part then the second one to your gate)and often for check-in. With only 4 hours, you'll be hard-pressed to get any decent time outside the airport without the worry of making sure you're back in time. Especially if that 4 hours is from the time you land to the time you take off again, rather than from when you clear Immigration/Departure Gates.

That said, the trains (fast underground, or S-bahn) from the station under the airport leave very frequently for the city centre and take around 10mins, but I wouldn't call Frankfurt a "nice village".

I'm sure you'll find enough to keep you occupied in the airport for 4 hours (read, wander, window shop, eat) and there's a great viewing window from T2 (from memory) just at the McDonald's where you can plane spot if you're so inclined. Rather that than stress about making it back to the airport in time to navigate the security checks (and lines) to get to your next flight on time.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 04:51 PM

Yes, the security lines are long, and -- at least from our experience -- can be chaotic... Stay at the airport. Nice stores, many restaurants, clean bathrooms.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 06:17 PM

Kelsterbach and Raunheim are the closest "little villages," but I agree that with your layover, I would not leave the premises.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 07:09 PM

Hi Graciela,

Thanks for asking this question. WE'll also have almost a 5 hr layover in Frankfurt. I heard from my parents that the place is a zoo and I'll probably need the time for the transfer.

Where are you flying from/ to?
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 08:51 PM

Unfortunately, most of the time we have to go through Frankfurt, it is always crazy. I have not been able to collect my VAT because of the long lines. I would not take a chance.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 11:45 PM

Yeah, agree, Frankfurt airport is a zoo, I doubt that four hours is enough. Just transferring and going through that amazing transfer tunnel takes an age.

Maybe instead you could think about taking one of the airport tours - if the times are right, or have a look for that new shopping mall (which disappointedly I wasn't able to find myself).

But if you really have to get out, the train station is very easy to find, just follow the arrows, and it only takes 10 minutes into Frankfurt city - a few minutes more into the Romer Square. I love Frankfurt, think its a wonderful city.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 08:05 AM

I guess I have been lucky. I've never had problems. If I were you, I would just be prepared. If things are crazy, be prepared to stay and shop. If you have time, make a quick trip into downtown Frankfurt or Mainz for awhile. Lots of previous posts have details on how to do that.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 08:43 AM

Problem is, you take the train out -- but you don't know what kind of traffic will greet you when you come back, try entering the airport, namely -- how long and chaotic are the lines for security and immigration....
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 09:01 AM

There are plenty of hard surfaces at Frankfurt. Perfect for banging your head against. Helps to alleviate the boredom. Definitely my least favorite of the major airports in Europe.

As to your real question, I think 4 hours is simply not enough time to head anywhere. More than enough time to tire of the airport, but maybe an hour or two too little to get out.
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 10:06 AM

...Sure a good place to SPEND your US Dollars, and really quick......