layover in Amsterdam

Jan 30th, 2003, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

layover in Amsterdam

Is 4 hours enough time to sneak into amsterdam to grab a meal or a drink and get a quick view of the city?
Jan 30th, 2003, 04:48 AM

A bit tight. It all depends on whether you need to retrieve and re-check baggage, and check-in time for your onward flight. You can get into central Amsterdam in about 20 minutes by train, and you could probably go round on the circle tram 20 in about an hour. Or if you walk to the right from the Central Station you come pretty quickly to some quiet and pleasant canals away from the hordes.

But personally I'd be fretting about getting back in time.
Jan 31st, 2003, 04:30 PM

I agree, 4 hours may be tight. Also FYI, the Circle Tram 20 is no longer...it was discontinued last year.
Jan 31st, 2003, 06:41 PM

If your bags are checked through, I bet you could do it. The train takes 20 minutes to Centraal Station.
Jan 31st, 2003, 09:33 PM

Time flies when you're having fun. If you do leave the airport, come back and get stuck in a long and intensive security line and miss your flight, you're screwed (unless you're flying 1st or biz or full fare coach)!! It's your prerogative to take up on Grasshopper's bet but I would just chill and enjoy Schipol. Better safe than wishing I had just stayed put.