9 hour layover in Amsterdam.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our flight gets into AMS at 11:30 am and leaves at 9 pm. Will there be enough time to go out of customs, into town for a few hours, and back through customs? How long do customs take?
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 05:27 PM

You should have no problem. I would presume you will be sending your luggage on through to your final destination. It may not take you more than a half hour or so to get from your arrival gate through passport control and customs. Keep in mind that international flights often board very early so you will probably want to be back at the airport by 7 p.m. at the very latest. You can pick up a train from the airport to Centraal Station in Amsterdam for 3.10 Euros and they are frequent. (A cab could easily run more than 40 Euros each way.)
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 05:28 PM

You should have plenty of time. Although the war may make things longer, but even so, lots of time. We had 4 hours and had time to check out parts of the Floriade which was a much longer train/bus trip than the 20 minutes to Amsterdam. My rememberance is that the line into the departure area took about 20 minutes. Once again probably is different now. This is because our bags were already checked.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 09:34 PM

We had a bit (but not a lot) more time between flights. We took a day room at the airport hotel (Hiton, I believe) and had a nice place to clean up and nap briefly. We did take the train into town and spent a few hours wandering, managed to eat at a rijstaffel (not sure of spelling - means "rice table&quot and enjoyed it.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:29 AM

Seamus, you're close. It's a 'rijsttafel'. Typical Dutch, me thinks. Anyway, Michelle, you'll have plenty of time. As Flyboy already noticed, you should be back on the airport at 7 PM when flying at 9. As long as you'll be flying from Amsterdam to any destination in the European Union, you'll probably even be fine if you show up an hour later. Don't count on it though, 'cause you'll never know for sure.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 10:52 AM

In my experience Amsterdam (Schipol) is one of the quicker international airports to get in and out of. Take the train (15 minutes) to Centraal Station and then start exploring. I really recommend a canal boat tour for a great overview. The tours leave from just outside of the station. Then head to the Leidspleine (take the tram) and hang out, eat, look around. Rijsttafel is great, but I don't think I'd waste my time eating. It's a longish affair.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 02:35 AM

Just to confirm that I have travelled through Amsterdam Schiphol Airport about a thousand times and immigration and customs together have never taken more than 15 minutes. For flights within Europe, you need to be back at the airport one hour before scheduled departure. For inter-continental flights 1 1/2 to 2 hours is enough.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 08:38 AM
Gino

michelle,<BR>Just curious, why is it that you made this reservation especially if you arrive in Amsterdam from the US.<BR>If so, I would think you would be one tired person before and during your 9pm connection.

Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Cheap airfare
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 11:30 PM

I think that they have city bus tours leaving and returning to Schipol. If you don't want to go into the City yourself, take a tour bus, at least one way. Do the City tour, and possibly a canal tour, eat an early dinner and take a cab or the train back. A'dam is a great city. Don't miss this opportunity to get the feel of it in the amount, and then come back later for an extended stay.
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 11:32 PM

You don't have to worry about taking your carry on luggage with you. They have lockers and a check room in the lower part of one of the buildings, where you things will be safe.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 12:42 AM

Michelle, I don't know when you're flying, but if it's a gorgeous day you might want to consider going to the Keukenhof gardens instead of into Amsterdam. You can get there with public transportation, or there might even be tours from Schiphol. Some people wouldn't want to miss Amsterdam, even if just for a few hours, and others wouldn't want to miss a world-famous flower garden.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 05:29 PM

I second jenviolin's Keukenhof Garden suggestion. Breathtaking doesn't even begin to describe that experience. Have a grand time, even tho I'm quite jealous!