Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Listeria, boudin, and other European foods

Jan 26th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Michael

I just read a couple of chapters in Jeffrey Steingarten's It Must've Been Something I Ate. It has interesting comments and descriptions concerning food, not all of them European. But here are some relevant chapters:

Listeria: He claims that the chances of being infected from the consumption of raw mnilk cheese are smaller than from eating hot dogs, and that the last cheese infection came from Queso fresco manufactured in Los Angeles from PASTEURIZED milk. His research is quite extensive, not based on pure hearsay. He does make one error in that chapter: Agricultural control in Chicago specifically said that canned foie gras can be imported legally as long as it contains no pork products; Steingarten claims that NO meat can be imported.

Those interested in boudin (Genesea, are you reading this?) should read It Takes a Village to Kill a Pig.

He has a great chapter on Roman bread, and today's N.Y. Times Book Review (Jan. 26) praises his "Parisian forays." (I haven't read them yet).

Jan 26th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Jen

Pasteurization kills germs like listeria, but it doesn't provide immunity from later re-contamination.

Jan 31st, 2003, 05:10 AM

Yes, I just read your post .. thanks. =)
Jan 31st, 2003, 05:15 AM

I think boudin is fantastic. I'm talking about boudin blanc and not boudin noir (blood sausage). Boudin blanc is quite tasty with good Alsacian choucroûte. Don't knock it until you try it. The old European products that aren't pasteurized and homogenized taste much better, i.e. cheeses. They retain much more flavor and aren't going to kill you either. Ever tried fresh goat's milk?
Jan 31st, 2003, 10:52 PM

The only thing better than fresh goats' milk is the ricotta made immediately w/it.mmm!