Layover at Gatwick

Search

Layover at Gatwick

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2008, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Layover at Gatwick

My husband and I will be flying USAirways to LGW and then catching an Easyjet flight later in the day to Rome. There is approximately an eight-hour wait between flights.

I have passes to the USAirways Club, which I'm told is located in the South Terminal, so therefore convenient for us.

We've been to Gatwick many times, but never had the occasion to hang around for hours. Would you recommend the Club there as a comfortable place to wait until our Easyjet flight or would you recommend taking the Gatwick Express into London?

Thanks.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 03:18 PM

I don't have any info on the USAirways Club, but you might want to consider Yotel. For a layover that long, I would like to have a place to lay down and really relax/sleep. I have stayed in one yet, but had just checked their website and it seems to be a good alternative.
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 03:20 PM

Ooops, that should read ...I have NOT stayed in one....
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, JJ.

I've read articles about the Yotels, but have never talked to someone who has actually stayed in one.

Has anyone here had any experience with the Yotels?

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 10:39 AM

Do you get to London often? I once had a 7 hour layover at Gatwick on my way to Venice. I hopped off the plane, put my bags in a locker and took the train to Victoria stn. I walked past Parliment/Big Ben, grabbed a metro to the Tower, visited the crown jewels, snapped a bunch of great photos, trained back to Vic stn in time to see the changing of the guard. Then back to the airport with the prescribed hour for security and off to Venice!

ps. my flight into London was a red-eye and I slept the whole way, so was eager at 7 am when we landed.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 10:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi friend

I really wouldn't recommend yotel unless you think you'll definitely need to crash for a bit. You could get some rest, but they charge by the hour and its definitely not a bargain.

What time do you land? Another option would be to take the train down to Brighton. It leaves right from the airport and takes about the same time as the Express up to Victoria would. You could see the Pavilion, have a nice lunch maybe overlooking the channel and get back in plenty of time.

(I phoned a while ago but missed you)
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 02:03 PM

When my husband & I were flying to Malta we had a 13 hour layover at Gatwig. We put our carryons at a luggage place took the Gatwick Express into London. We wnt to a pub & ate-just walked a bit-went to Churchhills underground place. I was feeling tired so I told my husband lets just go back tothe airport. We just closed our eyes till our flight. Needless to say when we finally got to Malta we were 2 tired puppies. I think we slept till 3 the next day. Chris
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 02:10 PM

If you want to see some of London (or Brighton, or any of the Southeast) - consider the Southern Railways DaySave Card for £10 each (4 for £20 !). It provides unlimited transport all over their network for a day. Note restrictions:

http://southernrailway.com/main.php?page_id=189