Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What did you actually DO on your long lay-over at Gatwick?

Oct 5th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

There are so many threads that ask if there is time to go into London, etc. during a long layoever at Gatwick. Everyone asks exactly how long the layover is, and then points out that by the time you clear customs, etc., etc., there really isn't THAT must time, etc.

But I don't recall anyone reporting back about what they actually DID during the long Gatwick layover. (Of course, this could be in trip reports that I haven't read.)

If you had a layover of 5+ hours at Gatwick, I'd love to know what you actually did. Did you run into London? Take a cab to a nearby village for lunch? Doze on a bench? Please tell!
Oct 5th, 2006, 09:37 AM

I walked to a nearby town (Horsham/) - anyway if you go out the lower level and turn left there are footpaths that lead in about a half-mile to the edge of this town and then sidewalks that take you into the town centre - not much more than a mile from the terminals. Restaurants, cafes, stores, etc. Or you could easily hop a train at Gatwick to go to a nearby town or even Brighton, about 30 mins from the airport.
Oct 5th, 2006, 09:40 AM
yk

We've spent a number of hours at Gatwick before.

We ate, browsed the shops, and slept. There is one area on the first floor where there are a few lounge chairs on which one can lie almost flat. I took a nap there for a while.
Oct 5th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Not Gatwick, but we had 8 hours between flights into LHR and out of Stansted. First, we showered and had breakfast at the airport. Then, we took the train into London. Left our luggage at left luggage in the train station and then hopped on a hop on/hop off bus. We did the full circuit and then headed back to the airport. It was a PERFECT day for us. It was the least jetlag I've ever had since we had to stay awake and we were in the cool air on the open bus. We've been to London before, so we didn't feel like we had to see anything, but it was nice to see the highlights from the outside.
Oct 5th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Christie, this past summer, our flight from Venice to London (to catch our flight to DFW) was delayed, so we had an involuntary "bonus" night in London. We took the Gatwick Express into town (arrived around 5 pm) and walked until dark. We saw a lot, from the outside. I'm sure no one will want to do that again, but I'm trying to decide whether to leave the airport or not.