Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

London Gatwick 5 hr layover - what to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2005, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my way to Italy I'll have a 5 hr layover at Gatwick (12/13 9:55-3:05). Is there anything outside of the airport or bus tours from the airport that are worth doing? I've never been to the UK before.

Thanks in advance!
Steve
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 05:03 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Both London and Brighton are approximately 30 mins from Gatwick. Don't think of it as a 5 hour layover - w/ passport control, security, waiting for connections, and travel times you really have about 1.5 hours free.

if you feel it is worth it for that little time - then I'd go to Victoria on the Gatwick Express and then catch the tube to Westminster. Westminster tube station is right at Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, the river, Eye - sort of the center of London when it comes to iconic images. But you'll only have time for a quick lunch and a bit of gawking

Or - go to Brighton for lunch and a walk by the Pavillion and to the pier.

But actually - for a short layover like that you are probably better off just staying at the airport.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 07:43 AM

I think you would be wise to take Janis' counsel on staying at the airport. There is a Clarins' shop there which does massages, sounds like a great way to spend the 1.5 hours free time. If you are a shopper there is also a nice Harrod's gift store.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 08:05 PM

Since the OP signs his name as Steve - perhaps the massage at Clarins might be a bit off base!
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 12:18 AM

Definitely stay at Gatwick. Gatwick is positioned in the middle of nowhere really. I live in the UK not far from Gatwick and to my knowledge they dont run any bus tours from there. Things move slowly (like me) in the UK and London would be too far. You might decide to go somewhere and if there is a slight hitch with the trains (which is not unusual) you could well miss your onward flight. If you have an onward flight do you have to re-check in and go through immigration and customs again? If so that could take 2 hours. Most flights from Gatwick for us UK residents you have to be there 2 hours before the flight leaves unless you are travelling rich class. There are quite a few shops in the airport that you can browse round and plenty of eateries in the airport so if it was me I wouldnt venture off the airort.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 02:20 AM

www.baa.com/gatwick will show you what's at the airport.