Layover at CDG - Roissy?

Search

Layover at CDG - Roissy?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Layover at CDG - Roissy?

We will be flying into CDG landing at 11:00 a.m. in late May. From experience, we have been punchy with lack of sleep upon arriving so we do not want to drive a rental car to Normandy that day. We plan on sleeping over and leaving the next morning when we are refreshed.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to stay so that we are not confined to the hotel with nowhere to go if we happen to waken early that day? Someone on Tripadvisor praised the Hotel Campanile in Roissy because the town is there to stroll around and possibly dine. How far is Roissy from the actual airport? Is it close enough that Roissy hotels would provide a shuttle?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Also, should we rent the car at CDG upon arrival and drive to the hotel so we can depart early or go back the next morning and rent it then?

Thanks for your help.

Ellie
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 07:26 AM
ira

Hi e,

I would pick up the car upon arrival and drive to the hotel.

I don't think that you would want to return to CDG if you didn't have to.

Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 07:51 AM

We landed about 10 am last May, rented a car, and drove less than 2 hrs. to Le Petit Andely, where we spent a peaceful and relaxing afternoon and overnight at La Chaine d'Or. www.lachainedor.com

Whatever you do, I agree with Ira that you wouldn't want to return to CDG the next day to get the car.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 07:56 AM

I'm not sure how close, but people have recommended Chantilly. I think it would be very nice in May. The horses may even be running.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 08:00 AM

The hotel Grandmère recommended in Petit Andelys is delightful, and the restaurant is first rate. The hotel sits on the banks of the Seine, and the small town is ideal for strolls. High above is the Château Gaillard, built on the orders of Richard Coeur de Lion.

Petit Andelys is an easy drive from CDG; we did it after flying in from California.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 09:15 AM

I don't think it is of much attraction compared to other choices, but Roissy itself is only a few km from the airport. However, lots of places have Roissy in the address (like the airport) and they still may not be that convenient to walk to Roissy itself and there are lots of big highways around there. But, if you know you can from the Campanile, it may be fine. Lots of hotels in Roissy have shuttles to the airport, probably most of them. Campanile does.