Lausanne or Vevey as a Base

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2008, 03:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to decide whether to stay in the Lausanne Palace Hotel in Lausanne or Trois Courennes in Vevey for our four day trip in June.

Can anyone compare and contrast these two hotels re location, rooms, service etc.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

I have done some more research. Let me throw into the mix the Victoria Hotel in Glion/Montreux and the Beau Rivage in Lausanne?

Thanks again for any opinions?
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 09:21 AM

I can only tell you about the difference between Vevey and Lausanne - Lausanne is a largish town but Vevey IMO is a real dream town - smaller, older looking and actually jutting out into Lac Leman - most folks would call it much more romantic than Lausanne (though if your hotel in on Lausanne's tiny lakefront it make have swell views)

I've been on Vevey's waterfront in the evening and it's largely isolated and so romantic.

As for a base each is just as good - trains take about 5 mins from Vevey to Lausanne and boats dock at each regularly in season.

sorry know nothing about hotels.
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 09:23 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I like Lausanne, but I'm sure that PalenQ is correct.
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 09:25 AM

Don't get me wrong - i like Lausanne as well. You can't go wrong.
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 11:20 AM

Lausanne is a city upon the hill, not particulary pretty or special and, because of the ups and downs, not all that handy to get around on foot. If anything I would stay down by the lake, in Ouchy.

Nothing wrong with Vevey, but it's a busy place down by the lake where it can get fogged in.

Of all the ones you mention, Glion wins hands-down. A quiet and small town up above Montreux, with views from up there, across the lake to the Mont Blanc and other serious mountains, and down all over the lake and Montreux-Vevey and Chillon almost to Martigny, that are stunning.

What often happens in the morning is low fog, Montreux and Vevey being fogged in until mid-morning, while the elevated Glion (and Caux, also above Montreux on the same little train line up the mountains from Montreux) get the glorious early-morning weather and views down onto the "cottonwool" fog layer.

But that's not the only reason. Check out these websites and see for yourself.

www.hotels-and-more.ch/en/vaud/glion/ Hotels and more in Glion

www.hotels-and-more.ch/en/vaud/caux/ Hotels and more in Caux

http://www.montreux-mountain.ch/engl...venue/haut.htm

http://membres.lycos.fr/beuret/english/real/mtgn.htm

www.montreux.ch/naye/

www.montreux.ch/sightseeing/carte.html
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 11:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I LOVE Vevey. I had a friend who lived there so have visited on 5 different trips in the past decade. I would stay at Trois Courennese in a heartbeat! The old town part of Vevey is lovely, walkable, right on the lake. It is much smaller and feels way "more Swiss" to me than Lausanne, which is big and spread out.

While Glion (another friend lives there) is pretty it's not as convenient for getting around on foot, the train, and the bus.

I highly recommend catching the open air farmers weekly street markets - Vevey on Tues & Sat AM and Montreux on Friday AM.
Old Dec 8th, 2008, 12:07 PM

I would opt for Vevey and the Trois Courennes--it has a beautiful setting on the lake looking out toward the French Alps--not that I've been able to stay there but I have had drinks on the terrace and dinner in the excellent dining room.

The Beau Rivage (right on the lake) is certainly "the" hotel in Lausanne/Ouchy but I recommend Lausanne for a short visit from Vevey--the coast road is excellent as is the train and less frequent but fun boat service.

The Lausanne Palace is situated up higher in Lausanne, so I imagine the rooms have stunning lake/alps views.

Vevey, between Montreux and Lausanne, makes day trips easy in either direction.

Old Dec 8th, 2008, 04:54 PM

We rented a house on Lake Geneva between
Vevey and Montreux for two weeks in June and never encountered any fog at all.

We found Lausanne rather unappealing for strolling around due to the very steep hills.

Vevey is a cute town and well located for trips by car or steamer.

Glion is fun to visit ( for lunch)... take the train up....but I wouldn't want to stay there.
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 12:52 AM

I love Vevey. It's the perfect size for walking around, has plenty of French chic, cafes, shops etc and a beautiful setting close to the Alps. Despite that it is quite flat.

Lausanne is much hillier, but further from the Alps. It is also much bigger and busier.

I've been to Vevey in April and October, and not experienced fog, although I imagine that end of the Lake would have its share. Have only been once to Lausanne to look around [vs passing through] and it was quite hazy and with more distant views of the mountains, the views on that day were unimpressive.

We have never stayed in expensive hotels in Switzerland so can't help you there, but the setting of 3 Couronnes is lovely.
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 06:18 AM

Dolly's fog thing explains perhaps that in dozens of visits to the area i have only on a few occasions been able to see the awesome visage of Mont Blanc that hovers over the lake - always some kind of mist or fog (i thought perhaps smog wafting up from the Lyon area) in the air.
Old Dec 9th, 2008, 06:29 AM

Pal Polly confirms my experiences (I lived for 6 months in Montreux) that going up to Glion and Caux gets you above the haze. But weather being unpredictable, in June there could (on cool nights) or could not (during warmer spells) be any morning fog - June being late spring, near the alps anything is possible.
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 11:59 AM

Nov 2009
Lyn France where did you gethome rental info, need to rent for one month in 2010 Vevey, Pully and not sure how to start.
Julie