Late arrival at LHR - Sheraton Skyline or Heathrow Hilton

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My flight arrives LHR at 2230 on a Saturday evening (American Airlines from Chicago, so I think it's Terminal 3). Since the flight gets in so late, my plan is to stay near LHR on Sat night, and then take either the HX or Tube to to London in the morning.

I have a reservation for Sat night at the Sheraton Skyline, for around 70GBP. The Heathrow Hilton is about 40GBP more per nt, but I'm wondering if the cost/hassle for taxi to/from the Sheraton Skyline at that time may make the Hilton worthwhile. I read that a taxi to Sheraton Skyline hotels is about 15GBP. I also read that getting the taxi can be a hassle, since cabbies don't like this short fare.

Am I way off on the taxi cost to/from the Sheraton Skyline?

Also, I'm a solo female traveler, so if one option is safer than the other, please advise.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 09:26 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Actually - the Sheraton Skyline is more convenient to Term. 3 (if that is where you land) The Hilton is at T-4 which is on the far other side of the airport.

You can just hop in a taxi outside of arrivals. At that time of night there won't be much traffic so even IF a cabbie got shirty about the short fare, he could be back in the taxi queue 5 mins after dropping you off, so don't worry about that. It shouldn't cost near £15.

Plus - if you don't have much luggage - the Hoppa bus will only cost £5. The last Hoppa to the Skyline leaves at 23:25 so you will probably make it. if not - take a cab.

Old Dec 26th, 2008, 09:44 AM

I've flown from ORD to LHR & you will be in Terminal 3. I've stayed at the Sheraton Skyline & it was fine.
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

janisj and carrybean - This is very helpful info. Thanks to you both for the prompt replies!
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 12:26 PM

We arrived at Terminal 1 in the late afternoon, and nary a taxi could we find. We ended up taking the Hoppa Bus, which was just fine, despite the complaints I've read about it here and on the TripAdvisor site. The driver even helped us carry up our luggage. For 4 GBPs per person it's a steal.

FYI, taxi drivers do NOT like taking people to one of the Heathrow hotels--they want a fare into London.
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 04:54 PM

I have never felt the need to stay near LHR after taking the daytime flight from Toronto. It arrives only 45 minutes before yours. While it is late by the local clock it is a good deal earlier back home. Consider saving yourself time and bother by just making your way into central London straigh away. When I have stayed near LHR I have always used Priceline.
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 07:13 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
We've stayed at the Skyline a number of times. It's a very nice hotel. You might check the rates at the Marriott next door, which is also very comfortable.

ORD-LHR is a longish flight, and if one assumes you're getting up pretty early to get to O'Hare and get checked in, I think staying at the airport is a good idea. Whether it's the Hoppa or a taxi, by the time you go through immigration and bag claim/customs and get to the hotel it might be pushing midnight local time, so a pint in the bar in the Sheraton and into bed sounds like a great plan.

(The beds at the Skyline are excellent, BTW.)
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 11:09 PM

If you are arriving at 22:30 then there is a good chance you'll miss the last Tube into town, though you could get the last Heathrow Express to Paddington.
Old Dec 27th, 2008, 03:25 PM

I've stayed at the Heathrow Marriott several times and have gotten a nice B&B rate. One time, this even included the night's dinner. The buffet breakfast is very nice and you can take the free city bus to and from the hotel. I would not recommend that with much luggage though.