Heathrow area Holiday Inn properties

Old Jul 28th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heathrow area Holiday Inn properties

Checking Bidding for Travel, I came up with three Heathrow area Holiday Inns - a Crowne Plaza, HI Ariel and HI M4. Comments seemed to indicate that getting to any of them wasn't a snap. No hotel shuttles and varying opinions about the Hoppa and city buses. We're looking to overnite before returning to the airport for a flight to Lisbon the next day.

When I searched the HI site for availabilities, it came up with one more - which is just described as HI Heathrow at Bath Rd., corner Sipson Way, West Drayton - and says this property is the closest to Terminals 1,2, and 3. I think we'll be arriving (ORD to LHR on AA at 1030 p.m) at Terminal 3, but am still trying to find that out for sure. Anyway, I'd like to know if anyone has any familiarity with this property and can tell me about getting there from the airport. We'll have two suitcases, packed to the max, and two carry ons, and there are some mobility issues, so we'll probably take a taxi to the hotel. Any advice/input appreciated!
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 06:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
No Heathrow hotels have shuttles. They aren't allowed to. They ALL use the Hoppa bus. So it doesn't matter where you stay - mobility-wise. The HI Bath road is just off the airport perimeter road.

If you have scads of luggage - the Hoppa driver will often help you lift it on/off the bus, but not always.

So just book any LHR hotel - HI, or Sheraton, or Marriott, or Travel Inn or any -- and either ride the Hoppa or take a cab.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

I guess I took a long time w/o really getting to the point of my query - whether this Bath Rd. HI is the nearest to the airport, hence the least cost and travel time by taxi. Thanks for the input, Janis.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 06:55 PM

As I said - the HI on the Bath road is right off the airport perimeter. The hotel website shows exactly where it is.

This HI and the "M4 HI" are the same property . . . .
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 06:56 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The Ariel and the HI Heathrow are both on Bath Road, which runs along the north edge of the airport. They're about the same distance from the access road to T1/2/3 (one to the west, the other to the east.) Both are among the closest main hotels to those terminals.

You can take a taxi to either hotel; however many cab drivers at Heathrow are reluctant to take such a short fare. I would expect a cab to cost in the £20 range.

Individual hotels at Heathrow don't offer their own shuttles. Instead, the Hotel Hoppa serves all of them (there are different routes - you can see the route numbers at the ticket kiosk in T3 before you go to the bus stand.) The Hoppa costs £4 per person each way. At the airport, bag trolleys are free, so you can trolley your bags to the bus stand, then the driver should help you with them onto the bus. At the hotel the door person ought to help you with them to the counter, but frankly late at night I've had troubles at both ends. I would pop for the cab personally, and I would not take any grief from the taxi driver in the process.

In terms of hotel amenity/comfort, I've stayed at the Ariel but not at the HI Heathrow. I wasn't especially knocked out by the Ariel. Actually, that's a bit of an understatement; it was mediocre (clean, but small rooms and not much in the way of amenity.)

I've also stayed at the Crowne Plaza, and wouldn't recommend it due to its fairly remote location. The M4 HI's location is worse.

Yes, AA arrives at Terminal 3. You ought to be in the hotel by midnight; remember it will be 5 PM to you.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 07:01 PM
yk

I've stayed at the HI M4 Jct 4 property. For info about Heathrow airport hotels, I find this website very informative:
http://www.londontoolkit.com/lhr/hotel_hoppa_bus.htm
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 07:15 PM

hi tuckerdc,

I'll ditto Gardyloo, the HI Ariel is small, clean, and just fine for a travel hotel, but no great shakes. On the other hand, I was please with the Advance rate I was paying and would stay again. I did have to insist when I checked out that I was to be charged pounds and not get hit by the slip calculated using Dynamic Currency Conversion that the clerk was trying to get me to sign. She finally voided that charge of US $ and ran a second one in just pounds. I saved 3 or 4 dollars letting my cc do the conversion (a Capital One card, so no foreign transaction fee).

FYI, it took a good 45 minutes on the Hoppa bus, each way, and that was after getting on, after waiting for the bus to arrive, so time-wise, perhaps use Gardyloo's advice with the taxis and skip some waiting.

Cheers.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 07:28 PM

Meant to add - a taxi may be your ONLY option. The Hoppas don't run all night and if you land a bit late or have a delay at immigration you'll miss the last Hoppa to the HI which is scheduled to leave at 23:39 and can run a bit later than that.

This shows the Hoppa schedule for all LHR area hotels

http://www.milesfaster.co.uk/heathro...nformation.htm
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 09:09 PM

Suggest that you check your heavy luggage through to Lisbon, if you can. BTW, there are washing machines in Lisbon so you can leave most of your stuff at home.

Distance from the airport in London is not the big issue. Think about time and convenience. Consider staying at the Hotel Hilton Paddington and use the Heathrow Express train. The train ride is 15 minutes and the Hilton is right in Paddington station, about 2 minutes from the door of the train.

At LHR American Airlines uses Terminal 3, but which airline is taking you to Lisbon? TAP Portugal uses terminal 2.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 09:48 PM

Spaarne: The HEX will cost £32 per person round trip. Not that great an idea for a quick layover just to sleep between flights . . .