Last Supper Booked - now what?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking a last minute trip to Italy - (booked only 9 days ago) and our last day is in Milan. From all the great tips on this site, we heard that we had to see The Last Supper and I heard back from Aliwest Travel that the whole day is booked.

Does anyone know of another way to get tickets? Is there some company that might buy a block of tickets or any other way to get them?

I am not sure that standing in line would do if they are sold out. It might waste all of our day.

We will be there October 8th only.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 01:57 PM

Ask for a table near the kitchen, they are usually available (sorry).

Try booking a day tour from a tour company, we did this and Last Supper was a part of it, along with the castle and the duomo (maybe Greyline tours).
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 01:23 PM
hdm

Is it just a daytrip to Milan? If not, your hotel might be able to help you.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 02:00 PM

go to www.florenceart.it

then click and go further to the next page, then select Milan Leonardo da Vinci Last Supper then enter the date and daytime suitable for you then see the outcomes !!

Good luck !!
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 02:08 PM

Just checked for you on florenceart.it and it is sold out for that day. We just went last week, and the people in front of us were trying to buy a ticket and the clerk was not very friendly with them. We had our tickets months in advance. With that Da Vinci Code novel, it's impossible to get in to see that fresco spur of the moment.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 02:27 PM

Try this one: http://www.tickitaly.com/

I got pretty far for that day you want.
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 02:45 PM

I did not try it but do they sell just one ticket per day ?? or maybe some options still available at different time for the same day ?
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Desert Sue, this is not to continue the thread, but to say thank you. I did get tickets using the site you sent me.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 08:13 AM

I am also trying for March 11 and 12. I will try Desert Sue's site.

And the tickets are cheaper than going through Aliwest. That's odd. I figure i'll probably only be in Milan this one time except for a layover or something, so i'd like to see it. Are there any guided tours that purchase blocks of tickets? I have heard of that. also, i heard you can hang around for cancellations, but i dont want to waste time either.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:18 AM

Hi again bradykp: If you are unable to secure a ticket for "The Last Supper" in advance, you can always buy it directly from the ticket office at the Santa Maria della Grazie church. There were tickets available when we were there last March and that is a not a busy tourist time.

Incidentally, I chose the 5:00 pm showing of "The Last Supper" through Aliwest and got a reduced price ticket because of the time. My child's ticket was free. Not sure why Aliwest's tickets would be more than those through tickitaly.com website but perhaps you'll find availability there?
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 10:30 AM

Wow--am surprised that Last Supper is already booked for Oct 8. We just called in our reservation last week for April 9 without any problem. We learned that not every booking is in English so had to adjust our time slightly.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 12:24 PM

nini, the original post was in Sept 2005 trying to book a ticket for Oct 2005
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 08:07 PM

Thanks Huitres,

I guess if all else fails, we'll go to the church when we get to Milan and buy tickets. March shouldn't be very busy but I guess this just shows, don't wait til the last minute too book (we just planned this trip, so it's not last minute for me).
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 09:37 PM

For future reference...

Try calling this number : 0289421146 (local number - you will need to add your prefix from whichever country you're calling from) select 2 for English and you will be greeted by very friendly Consultants. They give you the times available on that day, plus the rates per person. Right there and then, you will get your booking reference number - as easy as that! Of course, you will need to book in advance!!!

Good luck
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 06:00 AM

To the people who have already seen the last supper, how long does it take from the time you arrive for your reservation to the time you leave? I'm trying to decide if I have time to see it during a layover.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:22 PM

Mimmel: Not knowing how much time you will have as a layover in Milan, it is important to note the following:

The "Last Supper" is at the Church of Santa Maria della Grazie, a tucked away church off the beaten path in a small piazza in the middle of Milan. From the Malpensa airport, plan on an approx. 50 minute shuttle ride into the city centre (Milana centrale train station), then taking either a Metro or a taxi for the 20-25 minute ride over to the church. Once there, they have all ticketed persons wait in the front entry hall area and sit on the benches, as they only take in groups one at a time. My 5:00 pm showing had ~15 people, so we were all let in as a group at the appointed hour. For this reason, it is important to buy your ticket in advance, otherwise you can walk up to the ticket window and hope there is an extra ticket then you would have to wait for that time or another session that had an opening. (This option would work if you were not under a time crunch and could wait if the church was full when you arrived). With pre-purchased ticket in hand, you are ready to go in. Once inside, they allow approx. 20 +/- minutes for the viewing of the painting, before bringing in the next group/time.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:34 PM

I'll be flying into MXP at 7:15 AM & my next flight isn't until 11:20AM. My understanding is that there is an express shuttle to Cardona, which I think is fairly close to the church & is about a 40min ride. The schedule says it runs every 30 min close to the half hour & the hour. I know you need reservations but I'm wondering if they take you on time & how early you need to arrive for the appointment. Italy is not known for watching the clock. Considering that there are 4 of us, it would be pretty expensive if we cut it too close & had to miss it. My guess is that the tickets are not refundable. Would you take a chance or is it not worth the hassle?