last minute whirlwind to Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By a fluke of work scheduling, My wife and I have the opportunity to go to Italy for the first time and take our two daughters (17 & 22) in less than two weeks.

I arrive in Rome on Fri Aug 5 and my wife and the girls arrive on Sat Aug 6th. We have the Rome part pretty well arranged for what we want to see and when (haha Except for not yet having accomodations). I mean that we have a plan . We are still trying to find a reasonable B &B or apartment or Hotel. We plan on departing Rome by Eurostar to Florence on Tuesday the 9th and spending two nights in Florence. Then it's by train to Venice on the 11th. Here are my questions

1)At this very late date, can we still find decent accomodations in Rome and Venice (we have a place to stay in Florence)
2)Best way to get frome Rome airport to town
3)What is the best way to see Florence in 1-1/2 to 2 days (arriving 1:30 afternoon of 9th and departing on the 11th to Venice (time not yet set)
4)Likewise for Venice. If all we have is 1 and 1/2 to 2 days. how can we make the best use of our time. On our last day in Venice we must take a train (I to Rome and my wife and daughters to MIlan) for late night flights.

I know that "this is our first trip and not our last" but I really want to make the best use of our time and money, I am not a very experienced traveler but I am game to learn. After reading the exploits recounted on this site, I am hoping for help in planning a last-minute trip. All suggestions are welcome. Feel free to provide answers to questions I didn't ask but should have
Thanks,
David
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 05:07 AM

Well, if I had this luck, I'd dash over to Laterooms.com and see what's available for your dates!
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 05:14 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
For hotels try www.venere.com and www.ratestogo.com.

From the airport there are shuttles, limo services, trains,etc.

The train from the airport is 9.5E to Termini. I think the shuttle bus is 12E and makes several stops.

With your family it would be easier and maybe cheaper to use a limo service to your hotel. www.limoservicerome.com

Florence historic area is very compact and you can easily walk anywhere you want to go.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 05:15 AM
rex

<<On our last day in Venice we must take a train (I to Rome and my wife and daughters to MIlan) for late night flights...>>

Just curious... where are you flying "late night" from Rome - - no flights back to North America, that I know of... but maybe I am being too nosy.

<<Best way to get frome Rome airport to town...>>

I think you can take the train to Termini and then cab onward to your hotel... I'd say arrange a car/driver for your wife and daughters (because they are a party of three, not because of their gender).

Try www.venere.com in comparison to what you find on laterooms.com - - you are not SO late as to rule out getting &quot;regular&quot; deals from <i>some</i> hotels.

With your arrival in the afternoon in Florence, I would leave on the earliest available train FLR-VCE. You can pre-arrange reservations to the Accademmia, to the Uffize, or both - - for ther afternoon of the 9th, or the morning of the 11th. Make a dinner date - - maybe just the two of you and let your daughters go exploring on their own, at least one night - - Villa San Michele in Fiesole (Florence) would be a nice place, (just to name one example).

Best wishes,

Rex Bickers
Floyds Knobs, Indiana

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 05:20 AM
ira

Hi dw,

Lucky you.

There is good info for you at

Helpful Information: Italy 2
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34568596

A cab to your hotel for 4 will be about 55E. Train to rome TE will be about 40E.

Make sure you take a cab from the official taxi stand.

Check out daily walks for each city under &quot;Destinations&quot;.

Eat plenty of gelato.

Secret Itineraries tour of Doge’s palace Phone number is 011 39 041 520 9070.

Uffizi and Academia Museum Reservations
The easiest and cheapest way is to call Florence 011 (U.S. international access code) 39 (Italy's country code) then 055-294-883 8:30-18:30 M-F and 8:30-12:00 Sat. Florence time. You will get an English speaking operator and in 2-3 minutes YOU CAN RESERVE FOR BOTH. This is through the reservation service at the Uffizi and costs beyond the normal entry fee only about 3 euro for the service. This is MUCH cheaper than the commercial booking services.
You will not be charged for the reservations unless you use them.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jul 25th, 2005, 05:22 AM
rex

&lt;&lt;A cab to your hotel for 4 will be about 55E.&gt;&gt;

They arrive on different days, ira...
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 05:29 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The Rome airport website is www.adr.it
The shuttle bus is www.shuttleservice.it
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Rex- We are flying to Tel Aviv to go to a wedding and a conference and we are taking 10:30 at nigt and 12:30 (am) flights from Milan and Rome respectively.
Ira- thanks for the Uffizi and Academia reservations info. I got a 3:30 reservation for the Academia on the 9th (is there enough time before closing to see it properly?) and a 11:30 for the Uffizi on the 10th
I'm just about to go to the sites mentioned for hotels.
Thanks everybody. I'll let you know what happens

Thanks