Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Last full day in Paris - Canal St Martin area.

Oct 17th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Good afternoon

Tomorrow is my last full day of a 16 night trip. What luxury - when you stay enough days you start to lose track of time which is just lovely. Sunday will barely give me the time to have coffee locally and then taxi to CDG.

This morning I went to Holybelly for breakfast and then wandered a short time on the Canal St. Martin. I couldn't tarry because of plans nearer to my flat in the 7th.

I am considering making a good chunk of the day tomorrow about Canal St. Martin and environs.

Any tips to max out my time? Most picturesque parts of the Canal for photos, shops nearby to seek out on side streets, canal side cafes, etc.

I may or may not make it to Belleville. We will see. There is always the next trip!

Merci!
Oct 17th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

PS not interested in the boat tour, that takes too long.
Oct 17th, 2014, 09:01 AM

I don't know how to specify points, but usually people like taking photos at the points where there are those pedestrian bridges going over it.

rue Beaurepaire is full of trendy shops and galleries, if that's your thing (it's near the Macques Bonsergent metro stop). There is very popular cafe on it, also (Chez Prune). Quai Valmy also has lots of shops, and Le Jemmapes (on quai of the same name) is a cool bar/restaurant. Here's some info, I can't find any in English
http://www.cityvox.fr/bars-et-cafes_...27/Profil-Lieu
Oct 17th, 2014, 09:57 AM

The entire Canal Saint Martin is fascinating. I have walked the entire length of it from Bastille to the Parc de la Villette.

http://anyportinastorm.proboards.com...-martin?page=1
Oct 17th, 2014, 11:52 AM

A very picturesque part of the canal begins when it emerges from the tunnel near the rue du Faubourg du Temple (closest Metro - République), and continues along the Quai de Valmy or Quai de Jemmapes past locks, arched bridges and a turning bridge. We walked as far as the Jardin Villemin and got a lot of good photos along the way.
Oct 17th, 2014, 12:24 PM

What MaineGG said. We were a block from the canal for two weeks in May, and found the canal to the North just delightful. I should warn you, however about one danger. The hazard was a shoe store that was going out of business near the corner of the canal and Rue Alibert, just across the canal from La Marine restaurant. My wife could simply not pass the damned place. Hopefully, the place has actually gone out of business by now and you can just stroll on by.
Oct 17th, 2014, 03:28 PM

flygirl
,,Tomorrow is my last full day of a 16 night trip. What luxury - when you stay enough days you start to lose track of time which is just lovely " This is so funny. You think 16 days is so long?
My first Paris trip was 2 1/2 years long.
My second one was 17 days.
My third one was 24 days.
My fourth one was 1 month in Paris and 2 weeks in Marseille.
My fifth one which will be coming up soon will be 1 month in Paris and 1 month in Nice.

Have a nice trip back to the US !!!
Oct 17th, 2014, 04:56 PM

Good for you Vera...16 days is a long time for most of us.

Let us know your impressions flygirl....still haven't made it to CSM yet. Can't wait to hear about your trip!
Oct 21st, 2014, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Good morning everyone!

I did wander back up there but only to have lunch and then walk a few side streets. This deserves much more time and on my next trip I plan to stay in the mid-Marais and really do a lot of walking around 3-4-10-11.

A lot of this trip was concentrated on old favorites although I did do a self-conducted "walking tour" of well-regarded coffee shops (one per day).