Largest Shopping Centre in Vienna

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi does anyone have any info on the largest shopping centre in Vienna. I have been told it's one of the largest in Europe. My daughters are keen to visit it!! Wonder why!! Shop Shop Shop!! Also any markets for cheap clothes etc
thanks
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We went there on our last day in Vienna two years ago. It's about 15 miles east of Vienna, out in the middle of nowhere. Don't know where you're from(use of the word keen would indicate UK) but it didn't impress us. Many of the shops are the names you'd find in the malls around Williamsburg VA, or Detroit,MI or the one in Michigan City IN. The prices were definitely not "manufacturers outlet" prices. We thought we'd buy something uniquely Austrian, or at least European. Came home with 3 nice sofa pillow covers.
Unless you're a shopoholic, or having a burning need to get rid of excess money (would you mail me some), your time would be better spent elsewhere.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 08:21 AM
MaureenB

Your daughters might be more impressed with the designer shops in central Vienna. All the big names are there. Not inexpensive, of course, but much better than just another mall IMHO. There is a shop called K&M (or similar initials!) that had budget-priced stuff for teens, right in with the big name shops.

Old Apr 4th, 2005, 08:31 AM

I would take them to the Mariahilferstrasse and let them prowl the street up and down. I doubt they'd find anything in the mall that's not on Mariahilferstrasse.
The H & M store is on the Graben.
If they want to see the trendy fashion scene in Vienna, they must go to the Jutta Pregenzer store (4., Schleifmuehlgasse 4).
Also take them to the Naschmarkt. An ethno street market.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 06:51 AM

The shopping centre is Vosendorf Sud - and its a bit of a dump. It has more than one centre scattered on both sides of a motor way. There is also a discount outlet centre - MacArthur Centre I think - US owned which is closer to Slovak border. That has good deals with stores like Bally - basically offering at sale prices 3 years worth of styles. But you need a car to get there. Mariahilferstrasse always reminded me of Oxford St - mainly second rate stores and crowded.
Naschmarkt is a good food market with a real eastern feel and in addition second hand mostly rubbish for sale at the far end.