Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Klimt, I love this artist where in Vienna?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2004, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Vienna for 3 days at the end of March. I know that Klimt's work is in many of the museums. Which museum(s) have the largest collection of his works? Also, does anyone know of a private guide geared toward this artist?
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 06:31 AM

The Upper Belvidere has a good selection including "The Kiss". The gift shop also has a wide selection of Klimt "stuff" - brought our daughter (a Klimt fan) back several items.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 06:34 AM

I think CharlieB is right - they had many of them there.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 06:38 AM
ira

Hi sylvia,

The Secession is also a good place.

http://www.aboutvienna.org/museums/secession.htm
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 06:56 AM

While the Klimts are still at Vienna museums, a lawsuit is pending regarding their rightful ownership. Very interesting story. Does anyone have a good link to an article about the situation? I read about it in the New Yorker and a few other places, but don't know a link offhand.
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 11:08 AM

Here's a Google listing of dozens of articles on the lawsuit:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...arch&meta=
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 12:30 PM

The Upper Belvedere has the most, the Secession only has the mural, and the Leopold Collection has a few.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 08:53 AM

The Secession is a beautiful building. Inside it has WEIRD art, for instance upstairs is an empty room, this is called art???
On the ground floor you can go into little tents that have a person talking on a screen about some subject they want to voice an opinion on, you can sit in a chair and listen. This is called art???
Then in the basesment in Klimt's "Beethoven Frieze," isn't there a better place to put this piece of art? I think it would be more appropriate protected at a train stop.
http://www.secession.at/beethovenfries/glueck_e1.html
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 09:11 AM
ira

Hi donnae,

At the time Klimt and his friends showed their work at the original Secession, the folks in Vienna said, "This is called art???".
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 09:55 AM

Ira, the Beethoven Frieze is an interesting piece of art. IMHO is it not being presented well at the secession. The secession is a joke.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 09:59 AM

Why not display this interesting piece of art and its history at a metro stop where visitors and locals alike can enjoy it. A stop near Beethoven house would be appropriate, don't you think?
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 10:27 AM

My favorite Klimt is not the Kiss but rather his Judith. It's one of the few paintings I can actually say I could look at for hours. It too is in the Belvedere (a wonderful place to go in its own right and my favorite palace anywhere--lovely and gracious) Unfortunately when we were there in September, it was out being restored. I hope it's back by March when you visit. If you like Klimt, I think there is a good possibility that you might also enjoy seeing the work of a more modern but equally fanciful artist in Vienna--the Hundertwasser Haus. It's a Public housing project of about 50 apartments in a building with uneven floors, myriad colors, and trees growing from it, covered in mosaics and odd shapes. People live in it, so you can't see the interiors, but the exterior is fantastic and there's a shop inside that shows some of the interior. Hundertwasser is said to have lectured at the University of Vienna (I think) in the nude. Quirky but wonderful place to see. Enjoy the Klimts. Judith is my favorite picture anywhere.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 02:09 PM
ira

Hi donnae,

>The secession is a joke.<

That was the point.

Hi Julie,

>...you might also enjoy seeing the ...Hundertwasser Haus.<

Oh my.

On our first visit to Vienna, my Lady Wife and I were walking along the canal when we wspied an gorgeous, Lapis Lazuli and Gold architectural confection.

Thinking that it was the Hundertwasser Haus, we walked for three or four hours until we came upon it.

It was the water works.

Oh well.

We took the train back to downtown.

Turned out we had taken the wrong train.

The conductor let us off at Melk, which turned out to be a very fortunate mistake.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 04:02 PM

I thought the Beethoven Frieze magificent, though its basement location is perhaps not the best. Very interesting building, the rest of the art in it interested me not at all. Still I recommend a stop to see the Frieze, it's less than a 10-minute walk from the State Opera.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 08:08 PM

The secession is right next to the nashmarket, this street "mostly food" market is a must see for any visitor. There are locals and visitors walking together enjoying the food. Also, the apartment building homes architecture is absolutely breathtaking.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 02:58 AM
viennese

The Beethovenfries was part of the Beethoven exhibition in the Secession in 1902. It was meant to be destroyed after the exhibition, but fortunately was not, due to a Klimt exhibition taking place in the following year.

Therefore it is appropriate to keep the Fries in the place where it was originally shown. The history of the Secession and of the Fries belong together and shouldn't be separated by moving the Fries to "a better place".

From the start, the Secession was meant to show contemporary art, thus the building reflects the (then new) Jugendstil. The artists wanted to show their new concept of art of the 20th century, opposed to the rich history of baroque, naturalism, 19th century art etc. in Vienna.

If you want to read about the dramatic history of the Beethovenfries in English:
http://www.secession.at/e.html

Old Dec 5th, 2004, 03:25 AM
ira

>The secession is right next to the nashmarket,...<

Which is even better than the museum.

The best prices are at the far end of the street.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 05:50 AM

Perhaps some will be interested in this future film:
"John Malkovich has signed on to play Austrian artist Gustav Klimt, whose opulent and erotic paintings became the standard for the art nouveau style of the late 19th and early 20th century.".

Also: http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/...ch-klimt_x.htm
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 06:20 AM
ira

>...[klimt's] opulent and erotic paintings became the standard for the art nouveau style of the late 19th and early 20th century."<

And Alphonse Mucha?
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 07:43 AM

I know nothing...just carried over a quote from some movie site. (hence, the " " marks).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -