Lakes District hotel / B & B

Old Jun 27th, 2006, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lakes District hotel / B & B

Does anyone have a hotel or B & B recommendation for the Lake District? We have three days, a budget of $200 per night and would like a scenic location for hiking and/or fly fishing. Obviously, we will have a car.
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 04:47 AM

Is this Italy, England, or Austria?
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

England
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 01:05 AM

If you fancy staying in a pub with good beer & food, www.themortalman.com.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 01:51 AM

Try www.whitemoss.com/

I didn't stay here, but during my recent stay in the Lakes District I did notice this place and wrote it down for future reference.

Most important is that you decide where in the Lakes District you would like to stay. There is Grasmere, Ambleside, and Windermere in the same general area, and, of these, I would definitely choose Grasmere. It is much smaller and prettier and more appealing. But there are other areas as well, such as Keswick, and more remote areas up around Ulswater (which may be better for fly fishing--I'm not too sure.)

Also try www.virtualcumbria.net/ for a whole list of places to choose from.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 05:38 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree w/ guy - just asking for the "Lake District" is awfully general. Almost like asking for a "central hotel in London". Just too many options.

There are many, MANY wonderful places in the area - all of which are scenic.

Do you have any preference for which lake/valley you want?
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 05:57 AM

Meant to add - there is good fly fishing everywhere - even on busy Windermere if you head around to the quieter west shore.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 05:59 AM

darn, hit post too soon . . .

http://www.lakedistrictoutdoors.co.uk/angling_assns.htm has links to several angling associations throughout the Lakes/Cumbria. Maybe look over them and it will helpyou decide which part of the region you'd like to stay.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 06:38 AM

We stayed at The Grange in Keswick which should be within your budget. It is in a nice residential area with great views but also walking distance to the town. We stayed in Keswick mainly for the Catbells hike but this was not my favorite town. For a return trip I would stay in Grasmere or Hawkshead. We were there in May 2005 and there were not too many tourists. BTW, the hike is not to be missed. Enjoy.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 09:03 AM

This may be close to your budget (not sure of exchange rates or when you are coming) but the Punchbowl Inn at Crosthwaite is fab. Superb food too.
www.the-punchbowl.co.uk
Another lovely place is Crake Trees Manor
www.craketreesmanor.co.uk
Lastly, Yew Tree Farm has a very famous regular guest - Prince Charles stays here when he wants some peace and quiet
www.borrowdaleherdwick.co.uk/yew_tree_home.htm
Hope this helps!
M
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 09:24 AM

About 10 years ago my husband and I stayed in a guest house called Ees Wyke, near Sawrey, Ambleside. We chose it based on all the usual criteria, but the clincher for me was the fact that it was Beatrix Potter's vacation home when she was a child. Little did we know that it also had a reputation for incredible food -- wonderful breakfasts and fabulous five-course dinners prepared by owner-chef John. They are happy to accommodate food restrictions (I'm a vegetarian) and will pack a box lunch for you to take on your outings. (By the way, the price of dinner is extra so you can choose whether and how often to take advantage of the lovely dining room. As I recall, we ate there twice and in local pubs twice.) Anyhow, the place is lovely, beautiful setting, great views, comfortable rooms, charming host/hostess -- the works. You can check it out at www.eeswyke.co.uk.

Well, I've just made myself want to go back.

Have a wonderful vacation. The Lake District is something special, for sure.
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Original Poster

We are in Windemere at the moment, staying at the Lithwaithe Hotel which has exceeded all of our expectations. Found it through Trip Advisors and I can't say enough good things about it-- the view is wonderful, the service very attentive and the food is amazing.
We booked it through a last minute web site for 90 GBPs!
Old Jul 4th, 2006, 02:38 AM

Isn't it the Linthwaite Hotel that was offering 'World Cup free' breaks for girlies ? e.g. guest gets a free drink if she hears a member of staff mention football
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 02:50 AM

hi for future reference on of the best
www.applebymanor.co.uk
we stay a number of times and have never been disapointed there is also a great fly fishing lake nearby.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 03:08 AM

We stayed at Fellside STudios in Troutbeck. A lovely studio with breakfast - www.bestofthelakes.com/
Very nice and a friendly family who run it.