Lake Maggiore or Orta help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting Lake Maggiore and Lake Orta both but need some advise as where to stay. We have not visited lake Orta and only Arona on Maggiore (flight out of Malpensa). It will be easter weekend when we are at these lakes. I was thinking of Stresa or Baveno but will this be too crowded on Easter? Orta would be more peaceful? Any thoughts? Towns to visit?
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 01:42 PM

Personally I would chose Stresa IMHO. About Easter, have not been there right at Easter time, but in spring and also autumn. I would think Easter would be alright. Hopefully someone else has actually stayed there during Easter.

Have a beautiful visit.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 01:53 PM

The week before and after Easter is a hectic vacation season in southern Europe as schools and companies often have two weeks off. Don't know if this impacts the Lake District but may want to reserve in advance. Stresa is a fine smallish town on Lake Maggiore, with the famous three islands just off shore with constant boats from Stresa running around the lake. Baveno is also a neat lakeside town. Stresa, on the main rail line from Switzerland to Milan, is the best bet if going by rail.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 04:26 PM

I'd opt for Stresa, zozozo. The Easter holidays may make it a bit more crowded than it would be otherwise, but that's still very early for Lake Country. We were in both Orta and Stresa in early May, and Orta had not really opened for the season yet. Definitely peaceful (and Orta is a pretty charming and very authentic town), but a little too peaceful, I'd think. Stresa is a bit more of a resort, and you'll have much better options. That said, even if staying in Stresa, I might try to pop over to Orta for a day, if only to visit the little island. Pretty mystical place.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 03:59 AM

I love that area but that is very early for the season and some places may not be open. No doubt that Stresa has more going on than Orta, but do not miss Orta as a day trip. Have you seen www.orta.net? For hotels at Stresa look at www.stresa.net--lots of good choices depending who is open that early.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 05:18 AM

Cannero Riviera on the northwestern shore of Maggiore might be a nice alternative. Larger than Orta and smaller, less touristy than Stresa. We stayed in Hotel Cannero there and liked it. It opens in mid march (assume Easter is later than that)website www.hotelcannero.com
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

I have been attempting to get reservations since October but most hotels that are open are totally booked already because it easter weekend. Hotel Cannero was fully booked in October when I emailed them. Hotels in Stresa along lake have emailed back are full or no reply which I am guessing are closed. Hotel Belvedere & San Gottardo are open (close to Verbania) but I don't know to much about these two hotels or Verbania. On Orta I have found 2 hotels open -Leon d'Orta and Croce Bianca. Has anyone stayed at any of these hotels? Hotel Orta just replys closed till March.