Which town in Italian Lake area?

Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Which town in Italian Lake area?

We are spending three days in May in the Lake area. Which town would be the most convenient to see most of the area? We hope to use the ferry system and buses - don't want to rent a car. We are in our sixties - not yet doddering - nor are we athletes.
Thanks - I mistakenly posted this same question on the U.S. search area so if you've seen it before, just call me ignorant.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:46 AM

If you are referring to Lake Como then any of the three mid-lake towns (Varenna, Menaggio, or Bellagio) would be good IMO. Of these three, Varenna has the only direct rail service (from Milan); all are interconnected by the lake ferry system.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 01:46 PM

We are in the same agegroup and have booked a week in Bardolino in May. Like you, we plan to use the ferries and buses. It is about 45 minutes from Verona (which we fly into from the UK). Although it's towards the bottom of the lake (if you see what I mean!) it is apparently a good jumping off point for touring around, besides being considered, I am told, one of the prettiest towns on the lake.

I hope this helps.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 01:47 PM

Sorry - should have made it clear I was talking about Lake Garda.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 01:59 PM
Neopolitan

We studied this question at length and finally decided to stay in Torri del Benaco on the Eastern shore about the middle of the lake. There were boats at our front door to take us nearly anywhere on the lake. There are busses to, but I don't know much about them.
Here's a link to our hotel which was wonderful and surprisingly lower priced. Wonderful food in their restaurant too, and it's right in the pretty little town with other choices as well.
http://www.hotel-gardesana.com/index_eng.htm

Mar 22nd, 2006, 02:15 PM

Spent two weeks in Bellagio without a car, used ferries daily to explore the lake. Highly recommend it.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 02:43 PM

We loved Malcesine, on the eastern shore up near the north end. There is an old-town area with narrow, winding, car-free cobble stone streets, and a castle. You can ride a gondola up 5000 feet to the top of Monte Baldo for a view of the Dolomites. Here is a website with a couple of enticing photos: http://www.emmeti.it/Welcome/Veneto/.../index.uk.html
Mar 22nd, 2006, 03:50 PM

There ar 5 major lakes and you cannot see all of them from one location. Garda is much further east and not close to the others. Como/Lugano make a nice combo--I would stay in Menaggio.
Maggiore/Orta are also a natural pair but hard to see both without a car. Have fun--they are all great.
Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:35 PM
Neopolitan

I got a little confused here. When I saw Sandimac saying she was talking about Lake Garda, I was thinking that was the original poster.

If you're open to which lake to spend three days, I'll stick with my suggestion for Bellagio that I gave you on your other thread. If it's Lake Garda you want, then I'll stick with Torri del Benaco.