Lake District walks

Sep 22nd, 2001, 06:37 PM
Russell

Lake District walks

We're looking for an established, well-organized UK company that runs guided walks through the Lake District. Our preference would be a multiday (up to a week)program that would include a competent guide, comfortable lodging, and good meals run by a well-regarded operation. We will take care of all the arrangements to the point of departure and from the point of completion and would hope to have most of what's in between (with the exception of walking, eating, sleeping, etc.) planned by others. I'd greatly appreciate suggestions of walking tour operators, desirable itineraries, and estimates of a reasonable number of days to spend on a first-time visit.

Sep 22nd, 2001, 07:10 PM
Judy

Please check:www:Hfholidays.co.uk

Sep 22nd, 2001, 09:54 PM
Tony

There is a reliable company called Walk UK. Unfortunately I don't have any contact details - try a web search for them.

Sep 23rd, 2001, 08:19 AM
ron

As well as HF Holidays, there is also Countrywide Holidays, http://www.countrywide-walking.org/

I have done walking holidays in the Lake District with both (at Coniston with HF and at Grasmere with Countrywide). Countrywide have been in business since the 1890's and HF since around 1910. Both offered good food, good accomodation, good walking leadership. My only caution is that walking in the Lake District can be pretty strenuous; you need to match the chosen walks with your fitness level.

Sep 23rd, 2001, 08:40 AM
pat

Depends on what you want to spend. HF holidays offers the best value for the money. They have a website. It is www.hfholidays.co.uk. Had a trip planned and cancelled due to foot and mouth disease. Went to Australia instead. Next year we will try again. HF Holidays also has very nice brochures that you can request on their website.

Sep 23rd, 2001, 04:28 PM
Russell

From further research, it looks like HF offers the substantial flexibility in terms of duration and areas. It appears that they're all-inclusive and own some (all?) of their lodging places, which seem to vary. For the Southern Lakes, though, their base is Coniston, a better quality place according to their standards. Fitness is no problem. We recently completed some knee busters in the Bernese Oberland and I doubt that the Lakes walks would be much worse. I will check out Walk UK and Countrywide to see what other possibilities they provide. It would be nice to see some of the more interesting gardens while in the area. According to The Good Gardens Guide, there are several worth seeing nearby. Thanks to all of your for your suggestions.

Sep 24th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Janice

I'd suggest checking out The Mountain Goat in Windemere (http://www.mountain-goat.com/mgt21.htm). I was in the Lake District last year with my 80-year-old mother, so hiking was out, but we enjoyed all of our outings in the Goat's specially designed vans. The guides were all cheerful and well-informed. I know they arrange hiking holidays with stays at small hotels and B&Bs in the area. Highly recommended.

Sep 25th, 2001, 07:11 AM
Russell

Janice: Thanks for your suggestion. I took a quick look at the Mountain Goat site and have requested brochures. Seems like a worthwhile alternative. Much appreciate your help.