Search

Lake Constance

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:26 PM
Roberta

Lake Constance

We will be traveling from Paris by train with the destination of Lake Constance. My husband is seeking out his "roots" in Konstanz. I would appreciate any tips, ie. should we stay in Zurich or Winterthur or Konstanz? The stay will only be 1 or 2 days as we will be heading to Italy.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:53 PM
Patrick

Depending upon how much time you actually need to spend in Konstanz seeking the "roots", I'd recommend Stein am Rhein, quite close and a lovely little town. The Hotel Rheinfels is a charming three star with an excellent restaurant. Konstanz itself is not bad either, and certainly a little larger.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:28 PM
jw

I second Patrick's suggestion. It's an amazing little town.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:41 PM
wes fowler

You might want to consider the charming town of Meersburg on the north shore of Lake Konstanz almost directly north of Konstanz and only a 20 minute ferry ride away. Meersburg has a lakeside promenade that offers lovely views. Steigstrasse connects the shoreside town with the upper town and offers a delightful stroll past charming half timbered houses. The upper town is dominated by two castles; The old castle (Altes Schloss) dates back to the 7th century and is the oldest inhabited castle in Germany; the new castle dating from the 18th century is Baroque in its interior design. <BR><BR>Here's a couple of websites for accommodations in Meersburg. Go first, to www.meersburg.de/baeren/index.htm The site's in German, but you can see photos of this ancient inn and its charming rooms. Prices range from $62.00 to $85.00 a night for a double. <BR>For information in English go to: www.karenbrown.com/germany/gasthofzumbaren.html<BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:46 PM
wes fowler

My apologies, the German website for Gasthof Baren is: www.meersburg.de/baeren/seite1.htm

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:56 PM
Jim H.

If you don't plan to get a car, then the city of Konstanz is just fine. If you have a car, Stein am Rhine is a nice town (I also like Hotel Rhinefels), or just across the river in Switzerland is another nice hotel in Gottlieben, the Romantik Hotel Waaghaus.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Roberta

Thank you all. I found Stein am Rhein on the map and will check further.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Roberta

To: Wes Fowler<BR>You mentioned Meersburg. It turns out that my husband's grandmother was from Meersburg.