Lake Como, Lucerne and ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2015, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to plan a trip for 2 weeks going to Lake Como, then up to Lucerne to use as a base for day trips and want to stay in a third location. We've been to southern part of Switzerland(Geneva, Montreux , Lausanne, Zermatt, Gornegratt, Matterhorn) We are in our seventies and not as energetic as we used to be so like to stay in a location for at least 3-4 days. Where would you suggest in Switzerland as a third location? Thanks so much for your help.
Old Nov 23rd, 2015, 06:30 PM
kja

If you mean a place from which to enjoy the mountains, as opposed to a place to the delights of one of Switzerland's major cities, then perhaps somewhere in Graubunden, say Scuol or Pontresina or Chur? IME, each of those cities has enough to offer (restaurants, churches, etc.) be a very reasonable base for a stay of 3 to 5 (or perhaps more!) days while offering easy access by train, bus, cable car, or VERY easy walk to be a good base for seeing some spectacular mountains.
Old Nov 23rd, 2015, 06:37 PM

It seems you have Berner Oberland written all over your itinerary. However, from where are you returning home? If you are returning home from Zurich, Luzern last is a better solution for your "at least 3-4 days" desire.
Old Nov 23rd, 2015, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Greg & kja-thank you for your responses.

I thought fly into Milan:
1st stop- Varenna or Bellagio-5-7 nights
2nd stop-?
3rd stop-Luzern-5-7 nights
Fly out of Zurich
Would Scuol or Pontresina or Chur fit in well as the second destination or would day trips from Luzern do as well?

Just to give you some perspective,we recently were in Lake Bled, Slovenia and just loved the scenery and the people.
Old Nov 23rd, 2015, 07:51 PM
kja

"Would Scuol or Pontresina or Chur fit in well as the second destination or would day trips from Luzern do as well?"

I don't believe you can conveniently day trip from Luzern to these cities in Graubunden, and if you could, I'm not sure it would be a good idea, as you would spend so much time in transit that you wouldn't be able to take advantage of your time in Graubunden. That's why I suggested them as a separate destination. JMO.

For information about how to get from place to place within Switzerland, see the sbb website, which has an incredible wealth of information.
http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html
Also, consult the Michelin Green Guide, which has, IME, the best coverage of all the areas you are considering.

If you do include Graubunden, you might want to trim your time in Lake Como and/or Luzern to give you a bit more time in this spectacular corner of Switzerland.

BTW, I don't think you said when you would be going? That matters, as some passes and cable cars (etc.) aren't open year round.

I've also been to Lake Bled and loved it -- but the places and the people are different. IME, scenery in both areas is spectacular and the people in both areas are welcoming. I don't think I can articulate the differences, but FWIW, I'd call the scenery of the Upper and Lower Engadine (the places I have recommended in Graubunden) more dramatic than the scenery around Lake Bled and the people of Graubunden perhaps just a tad more reserved than those of Slovenia, but with at least as much hospitality. My experience might not be typical.

Hope that helps!
Old Nov 23rd, 2015, 08:40 PM

Hi VivianK,

Yes, the Engadin Valley will fit in very, very nicely with your itinerary; in fact, you'll be able to take one of the most scenic of Switzerland's scenic trains on this route.

Take the train from Varenna to Tirano, about 90 minutes, then conect with the scenic Bernina Express train (or take local trains over the same tracks, same route) to Pontresina (about 90 minutes) or onward to Scuol.

I agree that this area will give you beautiful scenery and plenty of things to do.

More information at:

i.pontresina.ch
m.scuol.ch

Day trips from Luzern will also get you into the nearby mountains like Pilatus, Rigi, & Titlis; you can also take lake ferries (year round) to visit other villages and towns dotted around the lakes.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Nov 24th, 2015, 03:07 AM

All depends on your interests and on the season.
You may check itineraries like:
Varenna - Tirano - Bernina Pass - Pontresina - Scuol (all by train)
Varenna - Chiavenna - Sils Maria - St. Moritz (train and PostBus)
St. Moritz - Glacier Express - Andermatt - Fluelen - Lucerne (all by train, may be last leg by boat)
St. Moritz - Chur - Ziegelbruecke - Glarus - Linthal - Klausenpass - Fluelen - Lucerne (train and PostBus)