Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Round trip from Zurich, what would you do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2007, 06:52 PM
annieladd

We've found a good price on roundtrip airfare to Zurich, and will be renting a car. What would be your ideal road trip for a 13 day trip in September (arrive Sunday, leave Saturday) Switzerland, Italy, France are all options. We like good food, wine, pretty sites, and places of historical interest. We're in the midprice range, 100-200E a night for lodging (up to 250E for a few special spots). We have some ideas, but I'd like to hear what you would do with this time.... Thanks! annieladd

Old May 5th, 2007, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm flying into Zurich next week and spending 14 days in Italy -- 7 in the Northern Lake region (Como & Maggiore), and 7 days in Piedmont.

It's about a 2.5 hour drive to Lake Como, so I would recommend 5-6 days in the Lake region then work your way back to Zurich with 7 days in the Berner Oberland, Luzern areas.
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:08 PM

Much depends on what you like to do, so I'll give a brief run-down. It wil probably help if you respond with the acitivies you enjoy when traveling.

While we have rented a car in Switzerland, we prefer train travel in most of the mountain areas that you'd like to see. The Bernese Oberland is wonderful for views and hiking, but a pain for whoever is driving. We've been in this area in September, and really enjoyed it, but it starts to get cool. Wengen, Murren, and Grindlewald are towns with enough tourist-friendly facilities, but only GRindlewald a really car-friendly. Interlaken is the major city/town in the area, but we prefer being in the mountains.

Switzerland has a few interesting museums and galleries in Bern and Basel, and any of the Swiss cities have performing arts scenes.

The area around Lake Annency in France is nice, and Chamonix for moutains is nearby. These are areas where a car is very handy.

You could also hit the Lake District in northern Italy, i.e. Lake Como, Maggiore, Orta, etc. The weather is still relatively warm. Milan is not far from this area, if you want to do some shopping and view some great design stores.

Caveats: I wouldn't do all of these, but then again, we're not ones for constant driving.
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:23 PM

Fly into Zuerich and take the train right from the airport to Interlaken and either Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen (I prefer the latter for its more convenient location).

After spendinga few days there visiting the Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn, pick up a car in Interlaken (the AutoEurope agency is within walking distance of the RR station) and drive to Luzern and around the Vierwaldstaetter See (Lake Luzern). Or take the train from Interlaken to Kandersteg and head for Brig and Zermatt. Or put the car on the train in Kandersteg and head for the Lago Maggiore in Italy. Return the car at the Zuerich airport by retracing the way you came. It's important that you return the car in the same country where you picked it up; otherwise there'a hefty drop-off charge.
Old May 6th, 2007, 12:41 AM
DAX

For France option:

1.Touring the wine villages of Alsace including the Haut Koenigsbourg fort and Strassbourg.
OR
2.Annecy by the lake & Burgundy with stops along Lake Geneva. Alternatively Murten makes a good lunch stop to enjoy an old small city with wall fortifications. Gruyeres is also a fun cheese town to stop on the way to France. Solothurn and Aarau are also attractive small towns just west of Zurich.