Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lake Como and Venice trip in July, car-train-ferry and more questions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2003, 08:21 PM
esm
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We?ll be flying into Milan and back from Venice. Original plan was to rent a car to go to Bellagio, spend 4 days before heading to Milan, return the car, stay for 1-2 nights and then take the train to spend 4 days in Venice.

After reading many posts about Lake Como, I am not sure if we need the car for just the two of us. We travel light and want the trip to be stress-free. Fodor?s and other guides recommend renting. Since we can take ferries to Mennagio, Varenna and other towns along the lake why bother renting? What do we gain from having a car apart from dealing with congested roads and parking headaches?

On the minus side, getting from Malpensa airport to Bellagio using public transport is not exactly easy. Our flight arrives at 8:15 and if we miss the 9:20 bus to Como, we have to wait around till 11 for the next one! Then we have to catch the ferry to Bellagio. I am also having trouble pricing the bus/ferry option. I have seen from 6 to 13.80 Euro on the Navigazione Lago di Como web but I can?t figure out what choices they are giving me.

One last question! Is air-conditioning needed in July? Hotel Belvedere with air @206 Euro vs Hotel Firenze without @135.
Old May 27th, 2003, 03:31 AM

esm - there is a railway company called the Ferrostavie Nord (if you google you can find their website and schedules) which operates service to Como directly from the airport (possibly one change of train en route.) The FN station I am told is very close to the docks from which you can get a hydrofoil or ferry to Bellagio. bon voyage!
Old May 27th, 2003, 03:32 AM

OOOPs! Sorry, that should be ferrovie nord. The ferrostavie is the state railway, the wrong one.
Old May 27th, 2003, 03:45 AM

Aha! I found the website. There's a train leaving directly from Malpensa airport at 10:15, 1 relaxed change at Saronno, arriving Como Nord Lago at 11:43, cost about € 7. If you hustle you can grab the hydrofoil leaving at 12:15 from the nearby docks, and get into Bellagio at around 12:57, according to the spring timetable (summer should be similar.)
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:13 AM
aj

Can anyone give me the web address for ferrovie nord? I can not seem to find it through my search engine. Thank you.
This information is just what I need to help me plan out next trip to Italy, May 2004.
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:23 AM
esm
Original Poster

aj, here's the one I found.

http://www.ferrovienord.it/porttrasp.shtml
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:26 AM

I thought the drivers around Como made the Romans seem slow. There was a crash outside of our hotel and the staff just shrugged and said it happens all the time. I'd do without a car there. Boats during the day, cabs for short trips to restaurants, etc. if needed.
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:40 AM

From personal experience, you do not need a car for your stay in Bellagio. We drove there and our car was parked for our entire stay, and we managed to get around quite easily thanks to the ferry service.
As for getting from Malpensa, I would look into the train that Sue mentions. If you miss that 12:15 hydrofoil, you can easily spend an enjoyable hour or two or three in Como before the next hydrofoil leaves. (Note that you can take an "express" hydrofoil, which makes only 2 or 3 stops before Bellagio and arrives in 45 minutes or the "local" which makes many stops and takes about 2 hours.)
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:58 AM
esm
Original Poster

Thanks for all replies. Howard, can you tell me about your hotel and if you needed air-conditioning? Also, if we skip Milan, is it better to take the train from Varenna and switch to ES along the way?
Old May 27th, 2003, 08:43 AM

We were there in October, so AC wasn't a concern. We stayed at the Belverdere, which does have AC. I highly recommend the hotel. Great views of the lake and a staff that is wonderful--efficient, accommodating, helpful and friendly.
Old May 27th, 2003, 08:43 AM

Oops, I misspelled the hotel. It's the Belvedere.
Old May 27th, 2003, 11:40 AM

We had a car. It was nice to leave Malpensa and drive straight to Bellagio. Even after an all night flight, we were able to stop along the way. We went to see Villa d'este. We'd heard much about the hotel, and we wanted to check it out. We also stayed at the Belvedere. We had one of the rooms with a terrace. It was wonderful. Worth the extra money. I do not remember if we used the AC but personally I always want it available. We may have not used the car much, but we then returned it to the Milan train station and went on to Venice. We left our luggage at the train station, toured, and then left. It was easy and hassle free.

Diane
Old May 29th, 2003, 06:25 AM
esm
Original Poster

Topping for possible additional comments
Old May 29th, 2003, 01:26 PM

We made the very trip last year you are planning now. We drove from Malpensa to Bellagio and used the car once to drive into Como. It was nice to have the car to continue our trip onto SML and other areas. As far as AC, we stayed at the Belvedere and needed the AC the first night until a cool front came through. We used the AC each night so that we could close the windows and curtains to block out noise and light. Ask for a room facing the lake and enjoy the balcony with a bottle fine Italian wine.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 08:58 AM
esm
Original Poster

Thanks. I have reservations for a car but haven't made up my mind about renting! Despite starting my plans late, all the hotels that I've emailed have rooms available so maybe roads won't be as congested as I had feared.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 01:25 PM

We were there a few weeks ago with a car. It's convenient but you don't really need it during your time in Bellagio. The ferry from Bellagio is very easy to go around the lake towns, much faster than driving. The only thing is after around 7pm or so, the only ferry was the car ferry between Bellagio and Cadenabbia (next to Tremezzo). If you'll be going to other towns in the evening, having a car may not be a bad idea. Also I found weekly car rental to be about EUR350 or so from Hertz. If you can fit your car in 1 week, maybe you get the car from Milan airport, drive to Bellagio, and then drive it all the way to Venice. The cost difference should not be too big. Have fun.
Old Jun 1st, 2003, 06:12 PM

esm---please don't think the roads won't be crowded because hotel rooms are available. Lake Como is an easy day trip for those living in Milan.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 01:32 PM
esm
Original Poster

You are so right Ellen. Steve, I have seen your pre-trip posts and was hoping you'd have a trip report as a follow up. Any recommendations? Where did you stay? We've booked Belvedere but haven't decided on hotels in Milan. Otherwise, we just want to relax and take the ferry around the lake.
Old Jun 3rd, 2003, 02:47 PM

Something I saw here - it said using a bus required the ferry to Bellagio. Besides the bus from airport to Como, and then the hydrofoil to Bellagio, there is also bus service from Como to Ballagio. If you miss the boat, just take the bus that travels more often. It leaves right next to where the Como Nord station is. (and it's a great ride winding and twisting all the way on the narrow highway)