Help Traveling from Venice to Lake Como

Jun 20th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Help Traveling from Venice to Lake Como

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to figure out the best way to get from Venice to Lake Como. I've heard mixed reviews from people saying it's a great drive and others recommending public transportation. What do you guys think?
Thanks!
Jun 20th, 2007, 07:37 AM

Need to know more.
Where on Como?
Where next?
How many people?
How many days there?
Jun 20th, 2007, 07:38 AM

Which part of the lake are you taking about....the city of Como itself or the so-called "mid-lake" area (Varenna/Menaggio/Bellagio)?

The advantage of rail is speed and total comfort. For the mid-lake area the only rail connection is through Varenna with ferry connections to the other two. That rail trip would require a change (easy to make) in Milan.
Jun 20th, 2007, 08:01 AM

How about train to the town of Como, then hydrofoil to Bellagio?

Driving up the Bellagio peninsula is supposed to be a bit harrowing. Plus it you stay midlake, most of your touring will be by the little ferries. Then you need to find a place to park your car for several days.

Altogether I prefer the train for midlake stays.
Jun 20th, 2007, 08:26 AM

And could be a great and easy drive - via Verona, worth a stop for its Roman relics and neat old town and then nearby Lake Garda and over to Lake Como.

no direct Venice-Como trains i believe except perhaps one daily Cisalpino train.
Jun 20th, 2007, 08:30 AM

Take a train from Venice to Milan: about 2.5 to 3.5 hours,depending on the train--no changes.Then a train from Milan to Como---about 40 minutes.

From there you can get anywhere on the lake,--by train or boat.
Jun 20th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all your replies so far. It's actually my boss and his wife going in September and they asked me if I could help with some research. They're staying in Venice for part of the trip then going to Lake Como for the second half (I should know the hotel name but I don't remember. He said it's supposed to be the most beautiful hotel ever... if that helps at all!). I appreciate everyone’s posts and all your help so far.
Jun 20th, 2007, 08:42 AM

To go between the two places in one day i'd hop the train - cheaper and nice

If they have time to stop a day in between then the drive would be the way to see something in between
Jun 20th, 2007, 08:57 AM

I am wondering if your boss is actually planning on staying at the Villa D'Este hotel which is located in Cernobbio.

If that is the case then it is pointless to go to the mid-lake area; by rail the best connections would be to and through the city of Como.
Jun 20th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Amanda,

To respond to the train versus rent-a-car question. If someone has not driven in Italy previously, then they might not like driving from Venice to Lake Como. (or they might like it. It is a person by person thing.). We drove from Venice to the south end of Garda and it was no more beautiful than the average US interstate.

The hotel Villa d Este is without a doubt one of the top hotels in the world. If that is where he is staying, it is in Cernobbio. North of the town of Como on the West side of the lake. If that is where he is staying, then I would ask the hotel what transportation options they offer. For instance, I have seen their shuttle boats tied up at the docks in Como (just one idea).

There is nothing wrong with the train system in Italy. That would work as well.
Jun 20th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

It is the Villa D'este that he is staying at. He's only staying there for 2 nights and they they are coming back to the states.

Everyone has been a huge help! Thanks so much.
Jul 22nd, 2007, 10:16 AM
schuba

awesome Lake Como trip report:

http://www.travelswithdiane.homestea...5LakeComo.html