Lago Maggiore Express? Anyone?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am researching for our upcoming trip and have come across a boat trip that goes from Stresa [Lake Maggiore]to Locarno, with several stops in between. It looks like a great trip. Has anyone done it? Is the water the best way to see this area [short time frame] or is it better to rent a car or take the train?
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 05:55 AM

It's difficult for me to advise. What do you mean by short time frame? I'm not sure if you're referring to the fast boat(hydrofoil? I can't remember)or regular. But a daytrip from Stresa to Locarno and back by boat will mean that you're on the water most of the time. Don't get me wrong; it's a beautiful ride with views of lovely places from their ports, but you don't have time to mosey around in each. Maybe you should just use the lake ferries to visit the little islands close to Stresa? Instead of trying to cover too much territory. Or maybe as far as Cannero Riviera.

Or perhaps you could train in one direction and boat the other. Still, you'll be spending most of your time riding. It's a beautiful area. Wish you didn't have to rush. J.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

By a short time I mean that we only have 3 nights in the area. I am not sure if the boat is a hydrofoil, or not. I would be interested in the train one way & the boat the other if possible. Are you saying this is too much to do on a day trip? we already have reservations to stay in Stresa & didn't want to move again for only one night.
Old Feb 6th, 2005, 08:26 AM

Maxter, I took a boat trip both directions the other way. I don't remember getting a particularly early start, or getting back late. I spent about 3 hours in Stresa. There are slow boats and hydrofoils. Take the hydrofoil. It stops several times along the route, both at ports on shore and at a couple of islands. You're right about it being a great way to see everything. I don't think it's practical to take a train from Stresa to Locarno.

If you have enough time, I would highly recommend a train to Bellizona, when you reach Locarno. The three ancient castles are beautiful. Be sure to go up into the first castle (there's an elevator!) for the finest views.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you - do you have any recollection as to what this boat trip costs, or where you get the tickets? I am finding the web site [Lago Maggiore Express] to be a bit ambigous. They do mention a "round trip" that involves a train one way with a boat return. But I have no idea how long that would take.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 11:21 AM

I think it cost about 18 euro one way. Remember that you are going from Italy to Switzerland. You can buy your tickets at the dock in Stresa and pick and choose routes and times. There are lots available.

If you do have an extra day, a great trip to take from Locarno is the Centovalli train. The scenery is amazing.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 05:49 AM

Hi again. My experience was not via the hydrofoil, (I did the trip from Locarno to Stresa and back) so if Grasshopper recommends it, then don't hesitate. But my point remains that you won't have time to explore any of the little ports, and I don't think the hydrofoil stops at Cannero Riviera at all. So now that I know you've got three nights, perhaps you'd like to make the Locarno run one day and do a second day on the lake moseying between the three little islands nearby (Madre, Bella, and Pescatori). You're going to love Lago Maggiore. Did you say when you're going? It was hot in June. J.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

We will be going in May. Will it be warm in May - I wasn't sure. Thanks for the input on the boat.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Grasshopper, I just found your previous posts regarding this train/boat trip - sounds very exciting. thanks for the information. I can hardly wait!
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 07:20 PM

According to Yahoo Weather, the average hi is 76, the average lo is 44, and the average percipitation is 7.9 inches! So that means you can expect some rain. I was there in July and it rained two days.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 04:40 AM

May should be perfect! Flowers, blue-green water. You're going to wish you could stay longer. Actually, what you're going to wish is that you could stay three nights at each end of the lake, both are marvelous, and there are so many daytrip possibilities at the Swiss end. Ahhhhh (again), J.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I'm already wishing we could stay longer! I am almost considering knocking a day off Venice just so we have more time to explore the lake area. thanks for the help.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 04:39 AM

Maxster, I'm a zealot when it comes to lakes and mountain vistas, so perhaps you shouldn't amend Venice rashly. The two locales are so different. And there's always next time, right? But now I'm curious; how many days do you have in Venice? J.