Search

Request for help with Bodensee segment of my trip

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2006, 01:22 PM
PJK
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Request for help with Bodensee segment of my trip

I have read several old threads about this area and there doesn't seem to be much information about the city of Konstanz. Meersburg and Lindau have several votes for being enjoyable cities. Because we need to travel into that area from Fussen on a Sunday, the car rental agencies are closed and pick-up and drop-off in the area is limited. So we plan to take the long train ride, hoping for great scenery. I had planned to stay in Konstanz, then spend full day and part of another day going to Meersburg and Mainau. Konstanz, as a base, seems reasonable since we will go on to Zurich from there. Good idea? Bad idea? Why? Any suggestions for hotels? Thanks, PJK
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 10:17 PM

Why not pull into Lindau on Sunday? It's only barely over three hours from Fuessen by train.

Reserve a room in advance, it's a gem of a place. Konstanz is on the wrong side of the lake, and not nearly as nice.

Then you can go from Lindau to Friedrichshafen by train (takes a half-hour) and pick up a car there and go explore Meersburg, still on the same side as Lindau (stay close to the lake after Friedrichshafen).

But here's a better one: Train from Lindau to Friedrichshafen, walk down to the "Hafen" - the port, and get the fast boat across to Konstanz, look around if you like, and from there take the slower and more scenic boat to Meersburg.

Either backtrack, or you might find that there is local bus from Meersburg along the "coast" back down to Friedrichshafen, and the train back to Lindau.

When you're ready to go to Zuerich, go via Bregenz to St. Gallen (read up on it) before Zuerich.

Also check out the Saentis - a seriously awesome excursion target while you're in the region: www.saentisbahn.ch

WK
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 12:45 AM

I would vote with WK.

Also, where is this small island which has the flowers. I think this is Mido or something like this. It's supposed to be worth looking.

Blackduff
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 12:55 AM

Mainau is the island (almost)which has the beautiful flowers and some other things.

Blackduff
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 04:29 AM
ira

Hi PJ,

Go to http://www.germany-tourism.co.uk/pages/index_698.htm

At the bottom of the page are links to what to see/do on Lake Constance.

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 06:15 AM
PJK
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info. I think we will seriously consider the suggested route, and the web sites are helpful. Again, I appreciate your taking the time to write. PJK