LA TIMES-London B&B under 150$$

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:35 AM
hwoodgal

LA TIMES-London B&B under 150$$

Good list and descriptions in Sunday's travel section

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 09:02 AM
TooNebby

I clicked on www.latimes and saw that I had to "register" to read an article. Ok, but then the questions became a bit intrusive. Why do they need to know my income bracket to let me read an article? No, thank you. Too bad, b/c it sounds like a good article.
My hometown newspaper (not LA, but not East Podunk either) does not require registration; NYT does, but registration is quick and minimal info is required.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 11:10 AM
Betsy

Ditto, TooNebby. I'd love to see the article but am not interesting in providing the LA Times with info about my household income. Maybe hwoodgal will summarize the article and list for us. How about it, hwoodgal?

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 12:46 PM
suze

BOY, what a pain in the butt to register with the LA Times website. Once I finished jumping through there hoops (one does not have to tell the whole truth when completing the form), then I finally was able to access the article written by Carolyn McGuire. Many of the hotels that she cites are ones that I’ve seen mentioned on this forum or in Sandra Gustafson’s book (Cheap Sleeps in London). She does provide a lot of detail in the manner of Sandra Gustafson or Karen Brown so you can get a sense of what the accommodations are like. Due to limitations of this site, I’ll list only a few of those she referenced.

Bloomsbury Region:
HARLINGFORD HOTEL
43-room hotel, located at Marchmont and Cartwright Gardens, has been in the family of proprietor Andrew Davies for three generations. The hotel, made up of three early 19th century townhouses, has recently been renovated and looks terrific.
www.harlingfordhotel.com

JENKINS HOTEL
This hotel moved to the top of my list when I found the resident black Labrador retrievers sitting at the entrance on its Web site. Down the street from the Harlingford, the hotel is more English cozy in character.
www.jen kinshotel.demon.co.uk.

MORGAN HOTEL
This 17-room hotel in an 18th century terrace house is popular, and with good reason: It's around the corner from the British Museum and a 15-minute walk from West End theaters. There's nothing fancy about the rooms. (A renovation begun last month is expected to be completed by March.)
011-44-20-7636-3735, fax 011-44-20-7636-3045

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
South Kensington Region:

Cranley Gardens Hotel
www.cran leygardenshotel.com

Hotel 167
www.Hotel167.com

Swiss House Hotel
www.swiss-hh.demon.co.uk.

Amsterdam Hotel
www.amsterdam-hotel.com

Henley House Hotel
www.henleyhousehotel.com

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Paddington/Hyde Park Region:
Balmoral House Hotel
www.balmoralhousehotel.co.uk.

Gresham Hotel
www.thegreshemhotel.activehotels.com

Hotel Columbus
www.delmerehotels.com

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Rex

Read it all here, without registering, if you prefer.

http://www.travel-board.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=283

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 03:06 PM
xxx

Another indexing curiosity. This thread can be retrieved by searching "latimes" - - but not by searching "threadid" - - while another thread with the exact same reference, and also on the 24th (and later in the day) CAN be retrieved with that.