Reload this Page >

La Spezia -- A mistake?

Search

La Spezia -- A mistake?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 10:02 AM
Jessy

La Spezia -- A mistake?

I just booked two nights in La Spezia because everything in Cinque Terre was full. The more I read or hear about La Spezia, the more I'm beginning to wonder if I should have picked a different town. The only time I will really be spending there is at night, to go back to my hotel. Can anyone offer me some advice on La Spezia?

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 11:58 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Not a fun town--it is a port and naval base. I would have picked Portovenere if you are driving or Levanto if not.

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 12:36 PM
Russ i

Jessy, <BR> <BR>Listen to Bob. If Lévanto and Portovénere are booked, try Sestri Levante, Rapallo or Santa Margherita Ligure. All have trains to the CT. You really don't want to stay in La Spézia.

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 12:46 PM
Paule

I second the recommendation to go elsewhere; La Spezia is a large, urban town. If you can find a reservation in Portovenere, take it; I stayed there and loved the town.

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 03:10 PM
cheryl

I stay every year in Portovenere and love it. You can take the boat to Cinque Terre--it stops at each one--the royal sporting is a nice hotel right on the water--about 10 min. walk to town.It is about 20 min. from La Spezia

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 04:53 PM
Jeanette

I agree with Portovenere but if that's full- Rapallo is fine. Rapallo is not as harried/crowded as some of the more touristy towns and yet seemed bigger with more choices. There are tons of good restaurants and hotels. I stayed at Hotel Europa in March. There is easy bus or train access to all from Rapallo. La Spezia is not like the above mentioned "sea towns" but more like a citified shopping district and you'll miss the Italian seaside feel.

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 09:26 AM
Frank

I was in La Spezia a month ago and I had been looking forward to the visit but in the end I was disapointed. I am in the Navy and our ship pulled in there for a week before returning to the US. However in LaSpezia, you are close to Portofino and Portovenere. I did not find any good hotels in LaSpezia but shopping was OK. Good for buying wines at less than half the price you would find here in the US. I would stay in Portovenere. LaSpezia is mostly a naval base. Good luck

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 06:11 PM
ellen

Drove to La Spezia last fall to get the train to Cinque Terre. Based on that visit, I would not want to stay there. Try Santa Margherita Ligure, with regular trains to CT, or the other towns mentioned above.

Old Jun 24th, 2001, 04:18 PM
rlk

I've stayed in La Spezia twice with most second visit to Italy, being last month in May. And the reason for my staying there is that I have a friend who's living in La Spezia; her husband is in the navy. Plus they have the good fortune of living on the top floor (4th floor) of one of those apt bldgs that overlook the bay --- enjoyed getting up in the morning, looking out their living room window &amp; seeing the tourists board the 9:15 am boat to the Cinque Terre.<BR><BR>Unfortunately there are no hotels that sit as close on the water in La Spezia. Best you could do would be one of the upper floors of the "Jolly Hotel" --- and as all the others have described, La Spezia is primarily a naval town, more modern &amp; doesn't have the charm of Portovenere or some of the other small towns mentioned here.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 02:56 PM
Dayle

We stayed in Santa Margherita Ligure and loved it. Did train day trips to Cinque Terre, Portofino, etc. from there. Very easy. La Spezia did not look appealing at all from the train...

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 04:46 PM
Johnnalee

Jessy: We just returned from Hotel Locanda Miranda in Tellaro, a medieval village which is near Lerici and a short ferry ride to Cinque Terre. The rooms are tastefully decorated, spacious and immaculate. Giovanna and Angelo Cabani and their charming son Alessandro have created paradise here. Mr. Cabani creates pure poetry with his meals. After 3 weeks of culinary adventure, his creations were by far the absolute most divine. He is known worldwide for his exquisite sauces... But be sure to try the lemon sorbet! Enjoy your stay in this amazing region.

Old Jun 25th, 2001, 05:18 PM
Nancy

We were in the same predicament a couple of years ago, everything in Cinque Terre was full. We ended up in Santa Margherita Ligure at Hotel Nuova Riviera and loved it. We made some mistakes on train travel from Florence, got on all milk run trains and stuck at La Spezia for a couple of hours. I don't think I would want to be there at night, even to just sleep. Not the most enjoyable time...until we got to Santa Margherita.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 07:52 PM
christy

What is the best way for two people to travel from Verona to the CT area- trains or buses and about how long of a trip is it? Does anyone know of a nice, inexpensive hotel or B & B in Sta Margharita?<BR><BR>Thanks, <BR>Christy

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 03:40 PM
mark

Others are correct, La Spezia is an urban navy port city. Lacks charm that can easily be found outside town. In September 2000 we spent a night in very small town (may be considered a village to some) of Brugnato about 16 miles north of La Spezia at Hotel Dei Tigli. The prior nights we had been in Florence and Venice so this was the very opposit setting. But we considered this a unique experience. The hotel had about 12 neat, clean rooms with private baths, breakfast downstairs with elderly Italian lady who could not speak English but daughter did. The town had church in the center with bells ringing that Sunday morning calling town to worship. A very favorable experience.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Joe

Each of the five villages in Cinque Terra has famlies that will rent out rooms in their homes. Ask at bars and restaurants. Most have a lists of available rooms. Try Trattoria Gianni in Vernazza. Ask for "affitta camere", rooms in private homes. Some of these rooms are quite nice and may have great views. Some will come with breakfast. Some will not. Prices are very reasonable. Good luck.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Carol M.

Stay at Hotel Continental in Santa Margherita - you won't be sorry.

Old Mar 14th, 2002, 10:02 AM
pat

Stayed in Levanto and like it alot. Stayed at the Europa hotel, a little family run place. Not very expensive, but the food was awesome. Hiked from the old 12th century church area to the most northerly town on the Cinque terra. (Monterosso) What a fabulous hike! It`s all up high on the cliff, and you look down at the ocean. You can come back via train. La Spezia has no charm!