Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Central location for One Special Night in Big Cities - Florence/Venic

Mar 4th, 2002, 09:02 PM
travelover

I am planning on spending most of my travel time in late April exploring small towns and villages on the outskirts of Umbria/Tuscany.......Access to train travel will bring me into the big cities, Florence and Venice for 2 full days/1 great night in each .....Please offer advice on hotels/location to maximize my opportunities for this brief visit- cheap to expensive price range! .......- (Never been to either Florence or Venice) I am extremely grateful for your input. Thank you

Mar 5th, 2002, 08:49 AM
traveller

Not one response Looking for feedback please!!

Mar 5th, 2002, 09:03 AM
elaine

Hi
If you do a search here on <Florence hotel> and <Venice hotel> you will find many suggestions, as well as in the hotel section of this Fodor's website
("Rants and Raves" included) as well as
at www.venere.it
The most central location in Venice is the San Marco area and neighboring Castello. Florence is even smaller but the most central area is between the train station and the Duomo.
I have files on those cities;if you'd like to see them, email me.

Mar 5th, 2002, 09:23 AM
f

Venice - Most central area is San Marco. Nicest hotel is probably the Gritti Palace. The Luna Hotel Baglioni is in the same location and also a 5-star property, but is substantially less money than the Gritti. Check out Leading Hotels of the World (www.lhw.com) and be sure to ask for packages.
Florence - The Hotel Savoy is a five-star right on the very central Plaza della Repubblica, recently renovated in a modern style, also a Leading Hotel. The Helvetia & Bristol is also five-star, more old-world in style and about a block away from the Savoy. They can be booked through Utell.com (look for the internet specials). Direct hotel website (impossible to find!) is reservatio[email protected]. Many also like the Lungarno (Small Luxury Hotels, slh.com), described as charming, which is on the other side of the Arno, but people don't seem to think it's out of the way. The pick of the three-stars seems to be Hotel Beacci Tornabuoni ([email protected]), well-located, charming and delightful service. Have fun!

Mar 5th, 2002, 09:38 AM
f

Oops, made a mistake. The site for the Beacci Tornabuoni is [email protected]

Mar 14th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Patricia

I just returned from Florence on Monday and stayed at the Hotel Fenice Palace on Via Martelli. Our window looked out at the Duomo which was around the corner from the hotel and is a great location. The San Lorenzo marketplace is a block away; bus and train stations are 3-4 blocks away; Academia is a few blocks. Well, you get the picture. The hotel is 4 star and reasonable. It is very clean and quite comfortable.

Mar 14th, 2002, 10:39 AM
judi

Patricia, I am booked for at the Fenice Palace in April for 2 nights.Glad you've recommended it. We would like to spend one night in the Tuscany coutryside. Do you know any hotels?. Do you know any good hotels in Rome? Thanks-Judi