La Magnanerale: some questions

May 8th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

La Magnanerale: some questions

I can get a very good rate at this hotel.
I am visiting without a car. How difficult is the walk to and from the viilage? Do you know if the bus runs up to the hotel or ends in the village? Any idea how hard or costly it would be to take a taxi to it from Avignon train station, the village itself? Thanks.
May 8th, 2006, 10:14 AM

it's very easy, I had dinner there one night. If you don't mind walking. . I was staying in the village at the Prieuré and around the corner is the village wall fountain and a bench where locals sit and me waiting for the bus, and up the street is where a commuter boat stops . I took that more often but mostly, I walked across th bridge. I enjoyed this walk passing a boule court.
The bus stops running at 11pm. Never took a taxi.
hellokittie, now I'm assuming you mean La Magnanerie
May 8th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, yes, I wrote it fast.
I will be there the end of Sept so I am not sure the commuter boat will be running. Someone on Fodors said not to stay in the hills so I was a bit concerned that it was a difficult trek.
Do you think Prieure is more desirable?
I have read some mixed reviews and it is much more expensive.
May 8th, 2006, 10:22 AM

The hotel is way up in the hills of Villeneuve-les-Avignon; I think a bus would be a very good idea.

Incidentally, this very nice hotel lacks one thing: an elevator, and most of the rooms are above the ground floor.
May 8th, 2006, 10:23 AM

I loved it. I stayed almost three weeks.
I stayed in the old part. There's a modern addition that overlooks the swimming pool. Ger, a friend who posts here stayed at the m. and she liked it very much. Youy are not in the hills
May 8th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Well, I am packing very light so I will take my time and climb up the steps. Do you know if the less exp. rooms are in the older or newer wing?
The old one appeals more to me!
May 8th, 2006, 10:34 AM

I had the least expensive but it was long ago and the room was oval and the toilet in a seperate room from the bath.
It overlooked the dining terrace.
May 8th, 2006, 10:55 AM

We also stayed at and loved this hotel. Some of our party stayed in the old part and some in the newer part. I'm not sure there is any price difference between the two, given comparable room size. The restaurant was pricey, but lovely!

The bus stop is within walking distance; we also took taxis back after site seeing in Avignon. It wasn't too far from the bridge, probably took less than 10 minutes to drive. The train station is a little bit further - we had a car, so I can't help with the taxi fares there.

A rental car would be convenient for seeing other cities such as Nimes...

If you're getting a good rate, I'd recommend jumping at the chance to stay there! Our experience was exceptional.
May 8th, 2006, 01:14 PM

hellokittie,

We have stayed at La Magnaneraie many times and love it...in fact, we just made our reservations for the fall. It is a very doable walk into the town, don't know about bus as we have a car...I highly recommend this hotel..it is charming with a beautiful back garden and a wonderful staff.
May 9th, 2006, 10:16 AM

Because of my problem with climbing stairs, the hotel staff graciously offered us the junior suite on the ground floor--the only room on that level, I believe. It was very large, with a nice sitting area, a patio, a beautiful bathroom paneled in teak (I think), a separate shower room, and another good-sized room with toiler, washbasin, and window.

There were bookshelves filled with books--a very nice touch. The room is reached through a little foyer with its own door.
May 9th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, I booked La Magnanerie for a great rate and am very excited.
May 9th, 2006, 04:22 PM

You'll love it but have dinner one night at Prieuré and visit their herb garden, a spot to sit for a digestif. The Saturday flea market is small but one of the best.
May 9th, 2006, 04:36 PM

I loved stayed in Villeneuve. On arrival at Avignon train station,I had no problem getting a taxi to hotel - it's not far and not expensive. I stayed at Le Priore in the same pretty little oval room that Cigale had. For such a lovely hotel, that room (single) was not expensive, I thought. I loved it, and the restaurant is great! But I'm sure La Magnaneraie is just as nice. I picked Le Priore because it wasn't as far a walk to the bus stop.
May 9th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone know what time the Sat. market ends? We will be arriving late morning and I would try to time it right! PS Can we dress casual for the restaurants at these hotels, ie, jeans or kakis.
May 9th, 2006, 07:11 PM

They are a bit dressy.
May 9th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Does my h need a jacket? We are really traveling light-thats the problem.
May 9th, 2006, 07:28 PM

I see many without jackets in Provence.
but nice top and well groomed men.
May 10th, 2006, 03:02 AM

hellokittie,

The antique market begins by 8 - 8:30..don't know when it ends as I am always an early bird..my guess would be noon...the tourist ofice would know because it is in front of their office.

I have not been to Prieure, but Magnaneraie does not require a jacket..I probably wouldn't wear jeans there though. Two other recommendations in the village where you could wear jeans, as they are very low key, but have very good food, are La Banaste( on the main street) and La Maison (off the main square).
May 10th, 2006, 03:26 AM

The antiques market ends around 12:30 - 1 PM (same as food markets) There are exceptions when they have the two day "Brocante Passion", usually around Easter and August.

PB