La Madeleine troglodyte village in Dordogne

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, does anyone know if tours are required to visit La Madeleine troglodyte village? Or can you just wander on your own? I just sent an email inquiry via their website www.village-la-madeleine.com and asked about English language tours so hopefully I'll hear back. I forgot to ask if you had to take a tour, or if you can walk around self guided. Maybe they have English booklets. We are hoping to visit midday the second week of June. We tour Lascaux at 10am and Font du Gaume at 3pm I'm looking for something in between. La Madeleine sounds like an interesting and smaller option to the St. Christophe troglodyte village. Has anyone done both, if so, which is better for a 2 hour or so visit? Thanks
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:08 PM

I don't think tours are required. I've never had one, just wandered around it on our own. But you won't have a clue what's what unless you have a guidebook or a tour, and I don't recall ever being given a guide of any sort.

La Roque St-Christophe is about 200 times more interesting than Le Village Troglodytique de la Madeleine (though both are very good), but I'm not sure you can do Lascaux II, La Roque St-Christophe, and Font-de-Gaume in one day and also eat lunch.

And by the way, for lunch, you absolutely MUST stop in St-Léon-sur-Vézère and eat either from the little snack bar by the river or at Le Petit Léon in the garden.

There is a TON of stuff to do and see along the D706 between Les Eyzies and Montignac. You might not be able to squeeze it all into one day. Also, it's a very tortuous road and will be slow going even if there isn't traffic.
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:34 PM

We were there last fall. At that time it was a self guided tour. They give you a map with explanations of the different areas. It reminded us a little of the cliff dwelling of the US southwest.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 04:10 PM

Hi, We just came back from the area. Tours for Troglodytique de la Madeleine are self-guided with an English booklet. We did this on the way to Lascaux II. Easy access off the main road and short walk.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 10:57 PM

Regarding launch at St Leon. Normally Le Petit Leon is open ONLY in July and August. However we find this is a perfect place for a picnic, and often go there after taking friends to Lascaux. Right on the river, in front of one of the loveliest Romanesque churches in France, and they even have picnic tables!