La Costa or La La Chiusa

May 20th, 2003, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

La Costa or La La Chiusa

I am planning a September trip to Tuscany, and am planning on three nights in or near the Montalcino area. If anyone has ever stayed in either place, all comments would be appreciated. I have read that both places have excellent restaurants.
May 20th, 2003, 02:57 PM

Just returned from a trip to Tuscany--we stayed two nights at La Costa. You can read my trip report by clicking on my name, and I will also top it for you.

Both restaurants were great--La Chiusa is double the price and triple the sophistication, but La Costa is no slouch and has a great wine list. The owner is really into wine and will help you out on that front--if you speak Italian. Rooms were nice, we stayed in the basic rooms (100 euros) with a nice view out onto Montepulciano. Clean. We appreciated the HUGE bathroom and jacuzzi. For 150 you get a really stupendous view and a balcony. But there's a great terrace for all guests that has the same incredible view so the nicer rooms aren't a must. I didn't see La Chiusa rooms but I heard they are also double the price. La Costa's atmosphere is a bit better as a hotel I think. It's inside the walls of Montefollonico which has some charm and the views are definitely nicer. La Chiusa is a 10-15 minute walk downhill out of the Montefollonico.

Anyway if you have any other questions, ask away. Keep in mind that both are probably about 30-40 minutes from Montalcino by car.
May 20th, 2003, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Lisa,
I appreciate your comments. I had a quick question. Did you find the location of La Costa a good location visiting southern Tuscany? We are interested mainly in visiting some of the wineries and eating good food. Thanks.
May 20th, 2003, 03:11 PM

Hi JWard. My family stayed at La Costa for 3 nights in April. Our room was large and clean, but plain, with a large bathroom and great jacuzzi tub. We also had a small balcony with a view to die for!

We ate dinner at the restaurant one evening, and I found it to be average, but expensive. They do have a wonderful wine list. For breakfast, they served us cake and coffee. On our request, we were given orange juice.

The owners are not particularly friendly, but the rest of the staff certainly was. I think we got off on the wrong foot by arriving late on our first evening. When I booked the room 3 months in advance, they asked if we would like dinner reservations on our first night. I replied yes, and they set our reservation for 8:00. Unfortunately, we did not arrive at the property until 7:30 and, unbeknownst to us, the kitchen had been opened just for us -- there was noone else that evening! Anyway, the owner hurried us in and told us to be down at 8:30. It simply did not feel hospitable. The owner did, however, arrange for a chess set for my son upon his request. That was very nice.

La Chuisa is about a mile or less from La Costa. We did walk in to visit, and everyone there could not have been nicer. They introduced themselves, showed us around, etc. The dining room is lovely and the grounds appear homey and rural. I did not see the interior of any rooms, but, upon review of their description on the tariff sheet, they seem lovely.

On balance, I wish we'd stayed at La Chuisa. Perhaps we will on another trip. Montefollonico is tiny and charming, close to other towns we visited while in Tuscany.

One last note--we did eat one evening at 13 Gobbi in Montefollonico. It is located 1/2 block from La Costa and was wonderful! Great food and lovely atmosphere. My pigeon was one of the best meals I had in Italy. I recommend it highly!

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any specific questions. Have a great trip!
May 20th, 2003, 03:21 PM

JWard - I have the tariff sheets from both hotels. At La Costa, rooms range in price from 70 - 260 euros (single through double with balcony, depem=nding on season). At La Chuisa, there are 6 rooms for 200 euros, 5 rooms for 300 euros, one room for 350 euros and 3 rooms for 400 euros. They do sound lovely!
May 20th, 2003, 03:25 PM

We did not stay in Montefollonico but visited there two weeks ago...we stayed at LaFoce, approximately 20 kms. away. It's a great location for visiting southern Tuscany. We had a villa rental for a week and did not run out of day trips but ran out of days!
May 21st, 2003, 02:22 AM

My family and I stayed at La Chiusa in April 2002. We had the time of our life! Read my review on rants and raves. It is the nicest B&B that I have ever stayed in. It is expensive though. A meal costs as much as a room!
Sep 27th, 2003, 11:11 AM

We stayed at La costa recently and found it to be a great place to stay for a trip in southern Tuscany. There is not much going on in Montefollonico but the hotel is comfortable and quiet. It is quit easy to get to other hill towns in the area. Montepulciano is within view across the valley. Our room was large with a great view. the bathroom was great size for a European hotel. Our 'Imperiale' room was a good deal at 180 euros. The restaurant was definitely above average. I would not say it was expensive either. The tasting menu, at 35euros, was a bargain considering the quality and service. The wine prices may be a bit high considering their location but is excellent. Overall, I would recommend La Costa and would stay there again.
Sep 27th, 2003, 03:29 PM

La Costa is great--we will be there in 3 weeks. However, if you want to be closer to Montalcino then look at www.palazzodelcapitano.com or stay on the edge of town at Vecchia Oliviera.