Kusadasi/Ephesus Private Guide

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2019, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be stopping in Kusadasi for a full day in July.
Would like to see ancient Ephesus. Our group has the option of taking a large-group tour of Ephesus & Virgin Mary house OR Ephesus & terraced houses.
Wondering which of these 2 is most recommended here?
OR would this be a good stop to hire a private guide for 6 of us to avoid a group of 40+ that may move slower than we like?
Old May 26th, 2019, 12:14 PM

Do a small group driver or guide. You can see a lot more that way. I assume you are on a cruise. If so, you can do all three plus other stops and lunch. You can actually just walk to the taxi/van stand near the tourist information place, and hire a local driver for the day. He will take you wherever you want to go. At the site, hire a local guide for Ephesus. Easy!
Old May 26th, 2019, 12:37 PM

If you're religious and willing to accept on faith that the "House of the Virgin Mary" is in fact authentic, then by all means go. But if you're more interested in history, anthropology and archaeology from a secular point of view the Terraced Houses are a Must-See.
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 04:12 AM

We just got back from Turkey 2 days ago. I suggest you get a private tour for Ephesus. It will be a much better experience as you can go as fast or as slow as you want at the sites.

I agree with brotherseelove regarding your choice of tours. We went to the Virgin Mary’s house as we were doing a pilgrimage of the Seven Churches of Christianity. If you are not religiously inclined then there is not much there for you to see.

I would also suggest that you go to the open air museum early when it opens. We were there at 8 and we had the place practically to ourselves! It was still cool and breezy. By the time we left at around 10, the sun was starting to get strong and the crowds behind us were bigger. Worth waking up early for this experience.

Enjoy your trip to Turkey! We are already planning our return.
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 04:29 AM

Ephasus,

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
Do a small group driver or guide. You can see a lot more that way. I assume you are on a cruise. If so, you can do all three plus other stops and lunch. You can actually just walk to the taxi/van stand near the tourist information place, and hire a local driver for the day. He will take you wherever you want to go. At the site, hire a local guide for Ephesus. Easy!
Agrree with these posts- private driver and local guide
Old Jun 29th, 2019, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

What's your estimate of the cost of a driver for the day plus a private guide at Ephesus?

Are the guides at Ephesus milling about? How do you find one? No need to book the car or guide in advance?
Do we need to worry that we'll arrive at Ephesus and find no guides available?

Last edited by 2idocs; Jun 29th, 2019 at 07:17 PM.
Old Jun 30th, 2019, 06:55 AM

2idocs

It's been 15 years, so I can't give u a price. What ever the price--get a guide and a driver. I got my guide + driver( which we kept for 2 weeks)t thru turkey national tourist service. Was called iTurkey at the time, but was unable to relocate that site.
Our guide was fantastic--national accredited (4yr degree) travel guide. Accomodations in Istanbul were refurbished Boutique Hotels in Embassy area.

and don't miss Capadoccia and the Cave Museum Hotel.
Old Jul 10th, 2019, 05:37 PM
kja

Chiming in late -- the terraces for sure!
Sorry I can't answer your questions about guides, etc. Have you searched this forum for posts by otherchelebi?