Best way to get from Kusadasi to Ephesus

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2019, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Kusadasi for one day with a cruise ship and want to go to Ephesus and possibly Sirence, but really don't like the excursions offered by the ship. Does anyone have a suggestion for getting to Ephesus safely and some what inexpensivly?
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 12:39 PM

Have you considered renting a car and driving? We vacationed in Turkey several years ago and rented a car from Izmir. Our base was Selcuk and we visited Ephesus and Sirince. Sirince is lovely but I'm not sure how one would go about getting up there other than driving or taxi as its up a winding road from Selcuk. Driving was very easy and relaxing. We had no problems whatsoever getting around. About 15 minutes from Ephesus is the supposed Birthplace of the Virgin Mary. Very interesting site and well worth a visit if you have a car and are in the area.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 01:20 PM

We booked a private tour with a driver, a guide, and a comfortable minivan It was a little more than what the cruise ship charged. Maybe $75 vs. $98 per person. There are some less expensive options if you do a half day vs. a full day. The Virgin Mary house had a massive line of cruise ship passengers and somehow our guide got us in ahead of it. One downside, the guide obviously gets a kickback if he can get you to buy stuff from some chosen vendors. The rug place was an impressive place and a half dozen people tried to give us a private sales pitch, and we got out of it by saying we were between homes but give us your card.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 02:31 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
There are many guides and tour companies you can book to pick you up at your Ship and take you to Ephesus for a tour.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 08:28 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
A friend & I just took a taxi from Kusadasi to Ephesus. He dropped us at the top of the site and we made our way through at our leisure, met him in the parking area at the bottom when we were through. Made a stop for lunch. A very nice relaxed day, inexpensive. I don't think you need a guide or a pre-arranged tour.
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 02:53 AM

I see there's the Liman Taksi office just outside the port entrance, on Google street view - https://goo.gl/maps/Fm6VhMco2J22 - or there's Merkez Taksi 150 metres farther down the road.
Probably the best value option, I'm guessing about 4TL per kilometre.
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 03:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
To support the taxi option, there are licenced guides at the top entrance to the site or audio equipment rentals. However, I suggest an Ephesus guidebook which you can keep as a
souvenir or to give to a friend afterwards. Breathing thousands years old air and feeling the site is more memorable than a bored guide telling you stories which will soon be forgotten.

There is also a shared minibus, much cheaper than taxi. Just ask for "Dolmoosh" as pronounced for Efes. It will be peanuts.
You can take a taxi from Ephesus or Seljook to visit Shirinje.(pronunciations)

One problem with a rental car is that you will have to walk through Ephesus twice, and lose valuable time.
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 05:01 AM

I wonder what route the dolmus to Selcuk takes. The terminus appears to be next to the bus station in Kusadasi - https://goo.gl/maps/8eDLmEYUdd32
I guess it might head down to the front at Kusadasi, possibly along İnönü Bulvarı and then Atatürk Bulvarı.
Old Mar 16th, 2019, 11:13 AM

There were four of us and we took a taxi who waited for us on the other end of the site.
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks fpr this idea. I think this is what we'll do.
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 07:31 PM

We met up with several other cruisers near the taxi stand, quickly put together a little group and booked a mini-van. He went where we requested and waited where we needed. We paid our own entrance to the sites. The total cost per couple, including the sites, was less than half the cost of a cruise excursion. You could also go on the Facebook fan club page for your ship or cruise, or cruisecritic, and find others to join to form a group. That is what I would do now. Do easy!
Old Mar 27th, 2019, 07:36 PM

Oops, "So" easy!
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

wow...great ideas. OK we'll check facebook right now and if that doesn't work head for the taxi stands.
Old Mar 28th, 2019, 02:53 PM

Tours By Locals was the (Vancouver BC) company we used, and our guide was great, very reasonable, he picked us up at cruise terminal, we opted out of the leather and carpet tour after Ephesus and lunch but Ephesus was wonderful. You see the profiles of all the guides and pick which one you like from their website. Easy-peasey.