Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Krakow Hotels, Help Us Decide! - Amadeus, Grand, Pod Roza or Copernicus?

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be in Krakow for only one night, so we don’t mind splurging a little for a romantic hotel in a great location. Since we have so little time, we want to be near the main tourist attractions as well as a few good pubs. Do any of these hotels measure up? Other suggestions?

Thanks,
Dave
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 01:36 PM

I think you should go with Copernicus.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Caroline.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 04:34 PM

I believe Copernicus is where President Bush stayed when he visited Krakow in 2003.
Should be okay then?
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

I just looked at their website and it sounds wonderful. Is it close to the main square and tourist attractions? It is difficult to tell fro mtheir website.

Thanks,
Dave
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 06:22 PM

Hotel Francuski, just outside the Barbican...five minute walk to the Cloth Hall and the main square next to St. Mary's Church..elegant old hotel with a staircase that is a throwback to Krakow c. 1920. Great buffet breakfasts..very reasonable, just over $100.
Stu T.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 06:26 PM

Copernicus is approx. 2 minute walk to the castle and 5 minute, if that, to Cloth Hall.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Too bad, Copernicus doesn't have availability for one of the nights I will be there. They suggested trying their sister hotel, the Pod Rosa. Anyone know of it? I am now comparing it to Amadeus and tower's suggestion, Francuski.

Thanks,
Dave
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 06:05 AM

For the best location check out Hotel Wentzl:
http://www.wentzl.pl/english/hotel/index.phtml?t=inhalt

It's located right on the Market Square. Ask for a room with a window facing the square and you will have one of the best views in town!

Have fun in Krakow!
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 06:08 AM

You can read travelers' reviews of Hotel Wentzl at:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...rn_Poland.html
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 09:29 AM

I stayed in the Pod Roza and just loved it. It was a wonderful hotel and very romantic and just a bit off the main square. I would have guessed Copernicus a bit more than a five minute walk to the main square, like maybe even 15 minutes if it's near the castle. Anyway, it doesn't matter if they don't have room.

The only thing I didn't like at Pod Roza was their mattresses were hard than I liked -- quite a bit, enough to notice. But the room was just lovely, large, nice period furniture, and everything in great order. If the other is their sister hotel, maybe they have the same mattress buyer, anyway.

The Francuski is a good location (just a bit farther out than Pod Roza, but not bad, but I have read it doesn't even have double beds, only twins. I would check on that, but would otherwise consider it.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 09:59 AM

Too bad you can't stay at the Copernicus. Fantastic looking hotel but probably more Relais and Chateau universal (with very modern, trendy touches) than typical Krakow. We ate at the Pod Roza and I found it quite lovely. Modern but with obvious Polish charm. It is also in a terrific location just up the main street from the square. Go for it.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 12:27 PM

The dining room at the Pod Roza is not the same as their rooms. They aren't the same decor or style.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 07:06 PM

Another recommendation for Hotel Wentzl.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 07:52 PM

Pod Roza has had many celebrities staying in the past, has a nice restaurant, but the stuff can be rude and treat people with an air of superiority. Francuski is a nice old fashioned hotel, and it should be fine in summer months, in winter the heating in inadequate. Wentzel is really nice, but if you are staying on Friday or Saturday nights, expect to be a part of the action on the market Square, even when you are in your room. Too bad you can't stay in Copernicus... You could also try Hotel Grand on Szpitalna Street. Or try calling Copernicus exactly one month before your planned arrival - that's when groups have to cancel the rooms they were holding if the tour does not fill. Enjoy your stay! Yolanta
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 07:54 AM

Re noise at Hotel Wentzl, we had a room overlooking the square and St. Mary's Church in late Sept.2003. There was activity in the square but there are double windows that effectively eliminated noise. My wife is a very light sleeper and never mentioned sound from the square. The hotel's website was an accurate representation of the rooms when we were there.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. Something must be going on in Krakow that week because Wentzl is also booked!

Checked the reviews on Tripadvisor, which are only so-so for Pod Roza and Hotel Grand. Amadeus seems to fare better on Tripadvisor but I can't find anything on it on this board.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 11:46 AM

I of course don't know when you are going. But it seems that these days many hotels book up really far in advance in Poland. I think that tourism is growing really fast over there and they are not keeping up with the growing demand for accomodations at this point. For example, I tried booking a hotel in Gdansk for a vacation during the second half of August 2006 in November 2005. Well, both of my choices were fully booked almost 10 months in advance. I finally booked a nice-looking pension in Sopot. Indeed July and August are the high season. Still, I thought that by booking 10 months in advance I would have no problems. And I arrive in Gdansk/Sopot AFTER St. Dominican Fair!

Here are a few more hotels I found:

Hotel Pugetow:
http://www.donimirski.com/en/cms_id/....hotel_pugetow

Hotel Grodek:
http://www.donimirski.com/en/hotel_grodek/

Ostoya Palace Hotel:
http://www.ostoyapalace.pl/en/index.html

Now, all of these hotels are pretty new, I think. I'm not sure if there are any reviews on these on tripadvisor.
But inyourpocket.com had good things to say about both Hotel Pugetow and Ostoya Palace (Hotel Grodek is Pugetow's sister hotel).

Anyway, good luck finding a place to stay.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 02:28 AM

Since the Copernicus (one of my favorite hotels) and Wentzl (another favorite) are booked, why not try the Radisson SAS? While it doesn't offer old world charm, you might enjoy it. Since you have such a short stay, I wouldn't be too worried about the hotel. Concentrate more on enjoing the city. You'll only be sleeping and showering in your hotel room.

One suggestion is for dining. Try to have dinner at Pod Aniolami on Grodzka Street...right down from the Market Square. Simply wonderful. You can request reservations online at their website and view their menu: http://www.podaniolami.pl/

Regarding a few good pubs...don't worry! They abound in Krakow. Lots of nice "cellar" pubs on Florianska. Actually, lots of nice pubs all around the Rynek.

Have fun! Krakow is a glorious city.

Val
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 07:52 AM

Caroline is right. The best, most atmospheric and most centrally located hotels book well in advance, especially in Krakow and Gdansk, so you should book as soon as you know the dates, or if everything is booked, try again 30 days before your stay, since this is when groups have to cancel if they cannot fill the tour. Radisson is a good choice although this is where American bus tours stay, but as you say Caroline, the city has so much to offer, Davelw will not be spending much time at the hotel.
Yolanta