konstanz, germany

Oct 5th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

konstanz, germany

we are traveling and dropping our son for a month long college program in Konstanz, Germany - any ideas where to stay/ we don't know family he is staying with yet so I have no one to assist from that region. anyone know fo the Steinberger Inselhotel? or another? thanks.
Oct 5th, 2005, 04:34 PM

See if the word "Bodensee" gives you information. Lake Constance (Konstanz) is known as the Bodensee in German. There are many pleasant places around or near the lake. One particularly beautiful spot is the island of Mainau, on the lake's southern shoreline.
Oct 6th, 2005, 03:40 AM

As your son takes part in a college program, he might get the benefits of being a student and being able to prove it with an international student id card or ISIC. First, he should try to get this.

btw. every one entitled for ISIC should be able to produce it, when traveling to and in Europe. You can save on lots of things, as getting cheap meals, cheap lodging in university towns, a knockoff on museums, operas, theatres and the movies. in leipzig, a barber is even offering a studentīs haircut with a knockoff.

Konstanz is not a big but a great town, very pittoresque and located at Lake Constance at the outflow of river Rhine. Lake Constance area is one of the nicest regions in Germany. From Konstanz, you can go by foot to Switzerland, as Kreuzlingen, the next Swiss town is nearby. Also, Austria is in reach, for futher trip planning. The west way to travel ther in summer is to use the passenger boat service. If you can do, stay there for a while.

Steigenberger Inselhotel is "das beste Haus am Platz", the finest house on location, rated 5*. check out at http://www.konstanz.steigenberger.de..._l2/index.html
if you can afford to stay there, do it.

Universität Konstanz is a campus University. located on a hill, commons (or mensa) offering a nice view on the lake and island Mainau. The center of the university building is the library to be entered around the clock. The campus as well ws the library (and the view) is quite unique for German universities. Find out at http://www.uni-konstanz.de/universit...nglish&lang=en
Oct 6th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank You. Yes, USNR, Bodensee brought up lots of information thank you. hhildebrandt thanks - no one has bentioned this ISIC card to us yet and that sounds wonderful, will forward info to my son.
I have faxed Steigenberger regarding rooms - I just wanted to make sure it was in or close to konstanz and it was hard to tell for sure - there is not much in any guide books I looked at in library. Thanks for the web info on the university, he will be having classes there so it is nice for mom to have a look see and visit. he will be working in afternoons with younger school children teaching english/reading so I am hoping he gets assigned that sooner than later and we can see his whole area/school/family.
I am sure he will be making wknd side trips and the ISIC card sounds like a must so he can see and enjoy as much as possible without breaking the bank! Many thanks again.
Oct 6th, 2005, 09:22 AM

Lindau is a nice town on the northeast corner of the Bodensee, which you might consider.
Oct 7th, 2005, 02:10 PM

The Steigenberger Hotel is within walking distance of the harbor and downtown Konstanz. It is the best (and probaly also most expensive)hotel.

While in Konstanz, don't miss visiting the Insel Mainau. You can get there by local bus.

It is an island that is one big outdoor botanical garden, with a nice little palace. It is even nice in the winter, because of its protected location.

Other places: Meersburg (you go there by boat) should be a must. It is across the lake. A delightful old city with a palace and a castle. Takes about 1/2 hour by boat.

Lindau is a bit far from Konstanz, but worth a visit by a combination of boat and train (on the way back, by way of Switzerland). So is Friedrichshafen, primarily because of its Zeppelin Museum. In fact, when it is in town, you can fly the first new zeppelin built after the Hindenburg Lakehurst disaster. It has helium (although the hydrogen is not what started the fire, but the dopinbg used on the Hindenburg'soputside skin)and also has the newest turboprop engines and avionics. I flew in it, and it was great (but again, expensive).

Search this Thread