Konstanz activity suggestions

Old Jul 1st, 2018, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Konstanz activity suggestions

A group of 5 (26-60 and very active) will be in Konstanz July 10-11, basically 1 1/2 days. Top on my list is to bicycle and hike in the area. If you have a favorite path or trail, please share. We won't have time for a lot beyond that, but please share other favorite activities from this area. And if you had an excellent meal somewhere, would love to hear. We are staying at Hotel Riva.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 07:00 AM

Hotel Riva has an excellent restaurant, too. But it's rather on the expensive side.
Walk from the hotel along the lake to the ferry port of Konstanz-Staad. Take the car ferry (for foot passengers as well) to Meersburg. Explore the lower and then the upper part of Meersburg. Hike from Meersburg east to Hagnau. There is a combined hiking and cycling path along the water. Hike back to Meersburg on the hillside path. Or if you've had enough of hiking take the passenger ferry from Hagnau via Meersburg back to Konstanz. There is a car ferry from Konstanz-Staad to Meersburg every few minutes. It takes 20 minutes. Tickets on the ferry.
For passenger ferries see https://www.bsb.de/en/ There are good restaurants everywhere in Konstanz, Meersburg and Hagnau. The Bodensee (Lake Constance) region is known for its excellent cuisine.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 09:45 AM

I enjoyed my cycling trip from Konstanz to island Reichenau with its farms and three Romanesque churches. A thunderstorm made me taking the boat back to Konstanz.

Konstanz has a well preserved, beautiful old town - make sure to spend a couple of hours there.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Swabian. That restaurant is closed on the days we are there. But it sounds like we won't have trouble finding another. Thank you for the hiking info.
Old Jul 2nd, 2018, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Ingo, we are spending two nights in Konstanz, so we will have plenty of time to see it. I will check out that ride to island Reichenau. Thank you.
Old Jul 21st, 2018, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

We enjoyed a bicycle ride to Insel Mainau, a beautiful botanical garden. We parked our bikes that we rented from our hotel, paid our entrance fee and spent a couple hours taking in the beauty. We then rode to the ferry entrance, parked our bikes again and journeyed to Meersburg for lunch. We did not get to explore much after that as my crew was ready to head back to the hotel and enjoy the rooftop pool.
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 01:00 AM

You certainly made the best of the little time you had there.
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 02:35 AM

Stein am Rhein, Rheinfalls and Schaffhausen are all nice - but unlikely you'll have time I think.
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dreamon View Post
Stein am Rhein, Rheinfalls and Schaffhausen are all nice - but unlikely you'll have time I think.
We did have time on our drive to Munich to visit Rheinfall and have lunch in Stein am Rhein. Both wonderful! We also stopped in Lindau and had a coffee and walked to a view of the lake.
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 02:22 PM

I'm glad to hear that. I foolishly didn't read your posts carefully enough!
Old Jul 22nd, 2018, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Dreamon, you did not miss it in my original post. I only talked about what we did while based in Konstanz. My son's girlfriend is German and drove us on this trip versus our usual only traveling by train. Her father recommended we visit Stein am Rhein and Rheinfall on our way to Munich. We were so fortunate that she was our travel guide and chauffeur as we could never have seen so much of Germany otherwise.