Orcas Island -- fun activities??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to drive up to Mt. Constitution, but what is the hike to get there like? Extremely difficult? any other amazing hikes you would recommend in Moran Park?

Also thinking of a kayak trip. Any favorite operators or tours? The sunset tours look neat!

Any are other enjoyable pastimes on the island that you can share?

Thanks a million!

dina
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 10:07 AM

I can't think of the name of the trail but if you drive to the top of Mt. Constitution, there's a trail that starts at the top and takes you along a ridge which has a fantastic view. It might be called the Lookout Trail? Not sure, and the park's website doesn't have a list of the trails, but there's a good map in the park itself so it should be clear when you're there (I've never had any trouble finding or following the trail). Anyway, this trail is shorter and easier than the entire climb up the mountain but you still get some good ups and downs (it takes you partway down the mountain to a lookout and then you'd turn around and go back up to your car). My other favorite trail in the park is the one around Mountain Lake. And there's a very short walk to Cascade Falls that's worth doing.

I already mentioned the possibility of doing a kayak tours with the folks at Spring Bay. Shearwater is another possibility (but I wouldn't do the trip out of Rosario--it's not as interesting as the other places they go out of, IMO).

For other activities, there's whale watching--I like Deer Harbor Charters. And renting bikes at the ferry dock and taking them over to Lopez for a day is fun (Orcas itself is pretty hilly so Lopez is a better choice for biking unless you're really strong cyclists). I also love visiting the pottery shop out in the woods on the west side of Orcas but the boys may not be into that ;-).
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Hello again, NW.

I have bookmarked Shearwater and thought their sunset tour might be fun, although they don't have any details about it on their website.

I also took notes on Mt. Constitution and other Moran Park hikes you mention. they sound great.

How complicated/time consuming is a day trip to Lopez?

Thanks!!
dina
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 09:10 PM

Not complicated at all. Have a look at the ferry schedule once the summer schedule comes out and you'll be able to plan it easily. Park your car at the Orcas ferry terminal, pick up some rental bikes, and hop on the ferry. You can go for a couple hours or the whole day--just make sure you take note of when the last ferry leaves Lopez for Orcas.

Old Feb 28th, 2007, 05:50 AM
Original Poster

That's good to know. i guess it's a fairly short ferry ride to orcas, and if you don't have a car, you just walk on? lock your bikes? would we know where to ride once we got over there?

thanks so much.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 08:23 AM

It's about a 25 minute ride between the two islands, and most people with bikes just stand in front of the car deck with their bikes and enjoy the view.

You can pick up maps of the islands all over the place and the parks, etc that you might want to visit are pretty easy to find on the maps. But if you want to do some research in advance, this website has a suggested bike route map: http://www.lopezbicycleworks.com/. I'd suggest visiting Shark Reef and Spencer Spit parks in particular. There is a big hill you'll have to climb as you come off the ferry but other than that Lopez is relatively flat.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

That sounds really easy and fun. Thanks (again!!)!