Knees & shoulders showing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking my two daughters,ages 20 & 24 to Paris and Italy in several weeks. I understand it will be hot and I have read that Knees and shoulders can't be exposed in churches. Most of our summer skirts are above the knee and of course they wear alot of sleeveless tops. We can put on a pashmina or sweater over shoulders, but what to do about knees? We can't go back to the hotel to change clothes to walk in a church? This could change packing plans!!!, Thanks
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 03:25 AM

I think it is mainly the shoulders.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 03:39 AM

I don't think that skirts sightly above the knee would be a problem. Tiny, tight skirts would be. Shorts are unacceptable, but capris are. Showing the shoulders will also be a problem.

During an Italy road trip I kept a very light, below the knee, black silk skirt in my backpack that I would wear over my mini. It was wrinkled silk so it did not show it had been stuffed into a backpack. I also kept a matching wide scarf available. It was not a great fashion statement, but it got me into several churches we had not originally planned to visit.

Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:58 AM

Yes, definitely be prepared with a shawl or something for the shoulders, and no shorts. In many churches they will make you buy (or borrow) a rain poncho type thing to wear inside the church. Trust me, you want to avoid having to wear something like that
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 08:28 AM

I wore skirts just above the knee in Italian churches last summer and had no problem. I think it's more thighs, midriffs, and shoulders that need to be covered.

I bought a shawl to cover my shoulders with before entering churches and that worked out fine. I saw many others doing the same.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 08:46 AM

It really depends on the whim of the people manning the church doors whether you will be admitted with knees showing or not. You'd have to dodge security to get into St Peter's, for instance.

I usually carry a thin cardigan and a very thin wraparound sarong that I can drag out of my bag at a moment's notice.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 08:53 AM

This is just an Italian thing, by the way. There won't be a problem in Paris.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 10:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There is usually no one enforcing dress code in many of the smaller neighborhood cathedrals and churches, it's mainly the major landmarks in Italy which may be more strict. No major packing changes necessary... simply take & carry in your daypack any of these items to pull out if needed: sarong, large scarf or shawl, lightweight mid-length broomstick skirt, lightweight silk knit cardigan, cotton t-shirt w/sleeves.

Some people wear those silly pants that zip off to shorts but I question their fashionabilty for your group!
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 05:43 PM

It's true that the rules are enforced only in the larger churches - but you can also face hostility from parishioners in some of the smaller ones. We were in a neighborhood church in Florence last year and a Britney-clad young woman (she was way too fat for that bare an outfit even if it hadn't been a church) was loudly upbraided by a couple of elderly parishioners who shooed her out of the church.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 05:53 PM

Wow! I've been in dozens of cathedrals, churches, chapels, and whatnot all over France in recent years and have NEVER seen anyone at the door enforcing ANY kind of dress code at all - unlike in Italy, where one expects to have to cover up.

This includes Notre Dame de Paris, St-Sulpice, the cathedral in Albi, the one in Sarlat, the abbeys of Fontveyraud and Cadouin, a zillion Romanesque churches in the Dordogne and Lot and Languedoc-Roussillon - I mean, LOADS of churches.

I don't think there's ANY comparison between France and Italy on this topic.

Anyone got some recent info to dispute me? I'm really curious now.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:26 PM

Just an observation. But when you go into a church at home would you go in with a mini skirt on and your shoulders showing?

The dress code thing is not unique to women. Men cannot (should not) enter churches in Italy/Vatican with shorts on. This is definately enforced at places like St Peters in the Vatican.

You are certainly frowned upon alsewhere, e.g. the Duomo in Florence, if you are not sufficiently covered and once again that is both sexes.